Is payed help available ?

pluto7777

Question: most of addons are not free, so i am wondering if some of the addon suppliers are also providing a kind of payed assistance for clients that are willing to pay for online assistance ( ex teamviewer assistance?)

Many FSX users are expierenced computer geeks, but remember also many simmers are just amateurs who like to fly sims. Because of the huge number of addons, different releases, updates, all these different operating systems, different performance in PC systems,  there is no general advice that can be given to a user (in my opinion) in order to solve issues. Every single issue has to be evaluated, conc system performance, versions, history of downloads, etc.. Trying to solve a simple issue sometimes takes months, just because the user is not enough experienced to locate the small issue, burried somewhere inside one of  the thousands of files... so, as myself, i am sure there are hundreds of enthousiasts who like to fly, but they are encountering problems for 1 years already, payed a lot money in trying to find other addons that maybe work better ( can this be the target of the providers ?)    So , in my opinion, many users would be happy to have a choice:  keep on trying and trying with the help of forum-free-advice, OR, contacting a kind of service that sales blocks of teamviewer assistance time, in order to help people that have been messing around for months and spent also lots of money, searching for their systems to run smoothly.  

well... that's the reason for these forums.

ask your question - give as much of information as you can - answer questions - (be kind) .... most of the time there is somebody willing/capable to help.

asking for payed help is somehow asking for a "guaranteed" result - and there are some cases where you cannot find a resolution. A shure way for unsatisfied customers.

Indeed Juergen, there is no payed support (at least not from us).

We know there have been some other people offering paid support, but in most cases they were out of business rather soon as people often expect wonders from that, which is just something, that is not possible.

If you need any help with out products just post in the respective section of our forums or drop us a mail, if you have general questions we have a general section in our forums where others can help you.

Bob, to provide any assistance with flight simulation stuff, one needs to have immense knowledge of computers, and flight simulation software. A rare combination, to be very honest. I only know a handful of people that can fit your requirement profile. One person is Matt Davies. Google him. He provides such a service for a certain fee that I don't know of, except that I am sure it is 100% worth it. Matt is someone with a lot of experience, and if he doesn't have an answer to a problem, chances are that the bulk of simmers won't, either.

Disclaimer: This is a totally free of charge endorsement for Matt Davies. I am not paid any commission. :rolleyes:

There are a handful of us who are hardware/software engineers and have many, many years in flight simulatuon... and we provide top tier support for people.

My advice:

If you're having problems with any particular software, and you're not getting answers in forums, then place a formal support request. I know very few companies in FS who won't help you.

If you're having a problem with the FS software itself, AVSIM is likely the best place to get support.

If you're working on home cockpit, then there are several sources for that on the Internet, including the companies who sold the hardware.

Don't forget that a reinstall of Windows and your FS software can do wonders when you're lost in the woods - and it takes less time that troubleshooting an indepth, very hard to find problem.

So... what's the bother?

On 7/24/2016 at 5:43 PM, pluto7777 said:

Question: most of addons are not free, so i am wondering if some of the addon suppliers are also providing a kind of payed assistance for clients that are willing to pay for online assistance ( ex teamviewer assistance?)

Many FSX users are expierenced computer geeks, but remember also many simmers are just amateurs who like to fly sims. Because of the huge number of addons, different releases, updates, all these different operating systems, different performance in PC systems,  there is no general advice that can be given to a user (in my opinion) in order to solve issues. Every single issue has to be evaluated, conc system performance, versions, history of downloads, etc.. Trying to solve a simple issue sometimes takes months, just because the user is not enough experienced to locate the small issue, burried somewhere inside one of  the thousands of files... so, as myself, i am sure there are hundreds of enthousiasts who like to fly, but they are encountering problems for 1 years already, payed a lot money in trying to find other addons that maybe work better ( can this be the target of the providers ?)    So , in my opinion, many users would be happy to have a choice:  keep on trying and trying with the help of forum-free-advice, OR, contacting a kind of service that sales blocks of teamviewer assistance time, in order to help people that have been messing around for months and spent also lots of money, searching for their systems to run smoothly.  

try deleting your p3dv3 config and post back the results...

42 minutes ago, bmn_com said:

try deleting your p3dv3 config and post back the results...

What's the point of this advice? If I didn't know any better, I'd say you're running around and knowingly providing erroneous advice to people that perhaps don't know any better.

On 7/24/2016 at 5:43 PM, pluto7777 said:
24 minutes ago, gmoneyprs said:

What's the point of this advice? If I didn't know any better, I'd say you're running around and knowingly providing erroneous advice to people that perhaps don't know any better.

no need for aggression just trying to help out people here, you should start to do the same thing here....

Guys, it is just an idea of me, again, im just a retired commercial pilot, wanting to enjoy this unique hobby, but i am spending more hours at forums then i ve been flying the sim, is this normal ? I must admit, i am not a computer geek, so indeed, things are going wrong when installing addons. There are huge numbers of sofware, operating systems, different pc performance etc... as myself, many simmers lost money in deleting addons and buying similiar sofware ( ex mytraffic, traffic 360 etc... ) hoping that stuff from another vendor should work better, altough it was a wrong setting that was causing the trouble. The free advice at forums is great and i thank all the guys that are willing to give advice, but to find a certain wrong setting, buried somewhere in the hundreds of files in a remote pc, and trying to solve this problem by means of a q/a flow at a forum ? this can take months to find, i can observe many cases like this, going for months already. Many manuals are very good at forums, but as i discovered, somethimes a very small issue is causing trouble; for ex: i had a (lost?) double bgl file, somewhere floating in my pc, but this little issue was killing all my AI traffic, tried installing, uninstallings, other software, it tooks months and a lot of money...

Simmers would still have the choice; free advice at the forums, or individual help, but this kind of help you cannot expect for free, i would not expect it anyway...

my idea is just to shorten the lost time of searching and trying... and no,  i would not expect a guaranteed solution because i am paying, even an evalution of my system, done by an expert, i would appriciate !

• Aerosoft
4 hours ago, gmoneyprs said:

Well in fact, in support we see that a huge amount of problems are caused by so called 'tweaks' that make FSX faster or look better . The craziest things can be found and a few might, under very specific conditions, do some good. 90% of the time however they either trade quality for better FPS or the other way around (that's the same as you can do with the sliders of course in a far more reliable way). So deleting the FSX.cfg (P3d.cfg) is a superb way to solving problems. 

Aerosoft will never participate in any paid support scheme. If you buy our products you already paid for the support. A good paid support service for weird tweaks will always start by having you

1. delete the cfg's
  2. start FS/P3
  3. close it
  4. when it was FSX:SP2 insert the highmem tweak.

And if they would be really good they would be highly hesitant to change anything after that unless it is to solve some very specific issue for that user. 

This a rather back to basics explanation:  I do confirm : a clean setup of P3D,  after this a download of Airbus 318/319, insert highmem tweak, and off you go !  no issues at all !  enjoy flying the airbus...

But you guys from commercial vendors (like aerosoft) are happy in seeing users to buy additional addons in their stores no ??

So we buy FS2crew, FSUIPC, we go for PFPX, we wanna have Mega airports an perhaps traffic360 and REX, because we are seduced in seeing al these nice things at Froogle, and so we order them at Aerosoft (or others)  and then,,, after a while...:  the program has stopped due to....

And then the troubles begin...

Mathijs, you are 100% correct with the statement : keep it simple and it will run smoothly ! But keeping it simple and simmers not buying anything extra,   is not the target of Aerosoft and co,  no ?

21 minutes ago, pluto7777 said:

This a rather back to basics explanation:  I do confirm : a clean setup of P3D,  after this a download of Airbus 318/319, insert highmem tweak, and off you go !  no issues at all !  enjoy flying the airbus...

But you guys from commercial vendors (like aerosoft) are happy in seeing users to buy additional addons in their stores no ??

So we buy FS2crew, FSUIPC, we go for PFPX, we wanna have Mega airports an perhaps traffic360 and REX, because we are seduced in seeing al these nice things at Froogle, and so we order them at Aerosoft (or others)  and then,,, after a while...:  the program has stopped due to....

And then the troubles begin...

Mathijs, you are 100% correct with the statement : keep it simple and it will run smoothly ! But keeping it simple and simmers not buying anything extra,   is not the target of Aerosoft and co,  no ?

No, don't use the HIGHMEMFIX in P3D. It's not required in there!

If you encounter issues with any of our products you can of course write us at any time.

We will of course first try to sort out the issue without reinstalling, etc.

Reinstalling is always the last option we go for as we know how much work it is.
Clean .cfg files, etc. are something we of course always ask for rather early.

While we do of course want to sell addons we also need to make sure those don't kill your sim. That's why we got a quality control department checking addons before we sell them.
Others do unfortunately not do that, but we deem it very important.

We would for example never sell addons which change low level core files of your simulator like some other developers do, expecially not without an option to revert those changes.

That is something that really gives us headages, if a user has certain addons installed which change core files of the simulators, then at times the only option is a full reinstallation, but of course we usually try to keep that the last option.

• Aerosoft

To extend on what Emi wrote...

Interoperability among many add-ons is indeed a problem as the complexity climbs steeply the more add-ons are inserted. Personally I am very hesitant to insert any add-on that replaces some default function of the sim and in our products we try to avoid the need for any other non-standard thing. So our weather radar in the Airbus works perfectly without a weather add-on (and with any other weather add-on) and we really try to avoid dependency on FSUIPC because simConnect can handle it all. You will also notice that we are very reluctant in adding things to the DLL.xml etc for the same reasons. 

We simply will not guarantee any product to work on anything else than a standard, clean sim (unless it is mentioned specifically). For one simple reason, anybody who does is crazy and is lying. Just yesterday I found an low cost FS add-on that inserted some Windows XP 32 bits Directx files on my Win10 64 bit system. As I always check the log files after anything is installed I noticed but a  normal customer would find that his Airbus would not work and would come asking us for help. Support costs a small fortune and we create enough issues ourselves to stay busy!

What did i learn in these last 2 years:

If you just wanna fly around in a Cessna, DC 3 or 737 and no further strings attached then FSX or P3D will perform well on a good PC.

(some guys even use a laptop as i saw)

But if you wanna go for the real stuff, like Froogle does, with very impressive scenery, super realistic behaviour, and about 7 to 8 nice addons running on your machine, than you simply cannot use the ordinary family PC.  You will need a separate sim-pc that has a very high performance.

All these things running, are very demanding from a PC and will squeeze the machine on his knees, in no time.

I used 3 PC's in 2 years, only my latest i7-GTX980ti/32 - HSS - liquid cooled version can handle the job without growling.

In my opinion, it just like when you wanna race on a racetrack:  you will need the power !!

Otherwise, just go for the walk in the park...

• Aerosoft

If you have 7 or 8 heavy add-ons running at the same time VAS will be far more an issue then FPS. And of course with the shitty memory management of FSX:SP2 things are bound to go pear shaped. With that many add-ons you are almost forced to run P3D V3. As said I am cautious with installing add-ons and if you do a sub $1000 will do fine even without overclock.If things get to slow just insert a fast GPU as P3D will make good use of it. 

One of the main reasons FPS gets low on a fast enough machine is that the simConnect bus is overloaded. Even a small hiccup there can cause FPS to come crashing down. There is not a good mechanism to handle that bus from collapsing. FSX:SP2 has the same issue with the pipeline to the graphics card. If something gets stuck there for some reason the traffic jam would flow back into the main modules of FSX and cause problems. P3d solved that issue to some degree. FSX;SP2 also has lousy memory management as it was compiled with a compiler from 2005 if I am correct. FSX;STEAM was compiled with a far newer compiler and thus has better memory management. P3d V3 has optimal memory management.

But no matter what you use, FS was simply never build to stack that many add-ons on top of each other and you will end up spending more time tweaking, updating and debugging. That's not my hobby and I am surprised so many people go that way. When I fly our Bus from Mega Airport Frankfurt to London Heathrow I know I will have fine fps all the way no matter what setting I use and I know I have zero chance of running out of memory. And you know, when we show things at events people always ask us what weather add-on or cloud things we use because it looks great. It's always default FS, no add-on, no framerate hit, no extra cost, and to be honest I think it still looks very much okay!

Here is a test I am just starting. The CRJ on Genea, both unreleased products. I think this looks just fine and I get 55 FPS and got 1,3 Gb of mem left.

Please login to display this image.

Archived