Finally in all its beauty...

Mario Donick

For years I was using X-Plane 10 with a very slow PC never meant to be used for X-Plane (NVidia GT530 2 GB, 8 GB RAM, i5-2320@3).

Although sometimes I posted screenshots with very high settings, I was never able to fly this way. Usually, I was not using HDR, no AA, low visibility (and no extended DSF), only low object numbers, min. cloud settings, no reflections, no shadows etc. I was happy when my FPS were between 20 and 25.

But finally, I've got a new PC. It's not the fastest of the fastest, either, but SUCH an improvement :) (NVidia GTX960 4 GB, 32 GB RAM, i5-6600@3.3)

And this is how X-Plane looks AND flies now:

First, three pictures taken in Ketchikan.

Please login to display this image.

In PAKT I use Tom Curtis' Final Frontier scenery package, which really requires having texture resolution set to "extreme", because Tom's "extreme" textures are what other developers would call "high" or "very high". In the past I could not have set textures to "extreme", because in other scenery this would be too much for the 2GB of the old GT530. But now it's not a problem anymore. Also note that I can use default clouds now (still set to only 15%, because that's dense enough for my taste), HDR lighting and reflections. Also using HD mesh v3 (but that I was using in the past, too.)

Now, some shots over Miami:

Here I am using Drzewiecki's Miami. On my old PC it was barely usable, and I was not able to see that much of it. This scenery also requires textures to be "extreme", because other settings look very blurry. Finally I can enjoy the scenery in all its glory.

Archived