Tobus

Where to go from Australia

All,

you friendly neighborhood PL is heading for some R&R. So the coming weeks my looking here is less and flying non existent. Don't worry, I'll catchup.

In the mean time, it's time to look at our further spanning the globe from Australia, Ayers Rock, onwards.

I'll leave this one to you all. My only non-negotiable: The end point for this batch is Kathmandu, with an optional before that to go to Lukla.

Have fun and try to keep it short so when my R&R is over I won't need another one B).

Quite a challenge to reach Kathmandu in 10 legs under 500nm from Ayers Rock.

I tried to come up with a plan, but I failed to stay below the 500nm mark in a few places:

Starting with YAYE to YHLC (Halls Creek) which is probably the only good way to get out of Australia towards Nepal without having either to hop around in small distances or in one big distance to the coast.

From then on it's relatively straightforward although my next 3 legs all fail to stay under 500nm. It's WATT (Kupang), WADD (Bali) and WIII (Jakarta), WSSS (Singapore), VTSF(Nakhon Si Thammarat), VTBS (Bangkok).

Then the longest leg to VYMD (Mandalay) followed by the real challenge, VQPR (Paro) and a final short leg to VNKT. The flight to Lukla is only possible for those who use the Twotter and can either be inserted after Paro or just as a little recreational trip from Khatmandu. If you consider landing there recreational that is... 

Hi guys,

Here is my proposal for the legs following Ayers Rock ... with these specs. i) going to Kathmandu, ii) in 10 legs.

Leg From To   Country Distance (km) Distance (nm) Scenery payware Scenery freeware
1 Ayers Rock Halls Creek YAYE-YHLC Australia 865 467    
2 Halls Creek Darwin YHLC-YPDN Australia 726 392   Freeware at AVSIM Sep 2014 by Craig Scott
3 Darwin Dili YPDN-WPDL East Timor 724 391    
4 Dili Denpasar WPDL-WADD Bali 1139 615 SimMarket BDOAviation 24.40 euros Freeware at AVSIM May 2016 by Morten Van der Linden
5 Denpasar Jakarta WADD-WIII Indonesia 963 520 SimMarket BDOAviation 24.92 euros Freeware at FlightSim Nov 2010 by Ray Smith
6 Jakarta Singapore WIII-WSSS Singapore 906 489 SimMarket  SAMSOFT 23.94 euros Freeware at AVSIM Apr 2009 by Jim Vile (with patch)
7 Singapore Phuket WSSS-VTSP Thailand 954 515 SimMarket AA Sceneries 14.40 euros Freeware at FlightSim June 2012 by Menno Robert & Ray Smith
8 Phuket Yangon VTSP-VYYY Burma 1019 550 SimMarket ONETValley  19.20 euros Freeware at AVSIM June 2010 by House-RP, Switzeralnd & Burma (DX9 only)
9 Yangon Chittagong VYYY-VGEG Bangladesh 764 412   Freeware Photoreal VGEG Dec2015 by Shafat Hasan
10 Chittagong Kathmandu VGEG-VNKT Nepal 886 478 SimMarket THAI CREATION  14.40 euros Freeware at FlightSim May 2015 by Roger Leupold 

Three of them exceeds the 500-nm limit. But that remains OK to me.

Dili airport approach is a superb sight, as is Phuket approach. The route from Dili to SIngapore is a very scenic ones, with all big volcanoes following each other along the indonesian islands.

Most of the time at Kathmandu, the ATC gives an incorrect approach ... but that's OK.

map.jpg

Best regards and happy flights!

Philippe

• Upvote 1

I'd like to second the proposed route by Philipe.

Good work with chosen airports (some of which I may visit for real next year).

10 Legs works well in my opinion and the distances are perfectly manageable.

Great work in finding possible scenery solutions too.

I thought i'd just contribute with an affirmation before I go off the radar for a while.

real world life, moving house etc and family changes will put me behind schedule possibly for a while.

So look forward to seeing the next batch and will hopefully keep up or catch up whatever is needed in the future.

All the best 

Rob

The general direction is about the same, but I proposed hops with shorter distances already here.

From     YAYE:

YTNK Tennant Creek 378 nm 6,405
  YPDN Darwin Intl 474 nm 11,005
  WATT El Tari 446 nm 8,205
  WAAA Hasanuddin 393 nm 8,213
  WAOO Syamsudin Noor 304 nm 8,204
  WARR Juanda 264 nm 9,841
  WIII Soekarno-Hatta Intl 373 nm 12,008
  WSSS Changi (Singapore) 477 nm 13,176

Unfortunately there are not too many meeting points. Criteria had been a distance lower than 500 nm and a sufficient runway length. Both routes, meeting at Jakarta would look side by side this way:

2016_07_30_Prop_Alternatives.jpg

However, I wouldn't reject Philippe's suggestion at all. Furthermore he proposed sceneries covering his route more or less - thanks for that. At least it leads to the right starting place for some nice adventures in a mountainous area... :boingy_s:

I think that your idea is a little bit too fragmented and raises the number of legs quite considerably.

I prefer Philippe's suggestion up to Singapore. After Singapore I prefer my own suggestion because it includes Bangkok which is in my opinion one of the places to see when travelling around the world and Paro because it is among the most challenging approaches imaginable. And there is an excellent scenery from FSDG available through Aerosoft which I'm sure we might get a discount for if we pick it as a destination.

However we cannot simply combine the two ideas without adjusting them in some way because that would leave us with one extra leg.

On 30.7.2016 at 7:14 PM, Farlis said:

Bangkok

Yeah, it's a must ...

On 30.7.2016 at 7:14 PM, Farlis said:

Paro

... as well as this one.  Both, Paro and Lukla as well will be included in my own tour.

Regarding Philipps' proposal I already said that I could live with it in general. Surabaya is a must for me as I'd been there in reality (:o many years ago).

So Philippe's as basis, but anyway include Bangkok, Paro and also include Lukla as a side show.

On ‎13‎.‎07‎.‎2016 at 10:02, Philouplaine sagte:

Hi guys,

Here is my proposal for the legs following Ayers Rock ... with these specs. i) going to Kathmandu, ii) in 10 legs.

Leg From To   Country Distance (km) Distance (nm) Scenery payware Scenery freeware
2 Halls Creek Darwin YHLC-YPDN Australia 726 392   Freeware at AVSIM Sep 2014 by Craig Scott
4 Dili Denpasar WPDL-WADD Bali 1139 615 SimMarket BDOAviation 24.40 euros Freeware at AVSIM May 2016 by Morten Van der Linden
5 Denpasar Jakarta WADD-WIII Indonesia 963 520 SimMarket BDOAviation 24.92 euros Freeware at FlightSim Nov 2010 by Ray Smith
6 Jakarta Singapore WIII-WSSS Singapore 906 489 SimMarket  SAMSOFT 23.94 euros Freeware at AVSIM Apr 2009 by Jim Vile (with patch)
7 Singapore Phuket WSSS-VTSP Thailand 954 515 SimMarket AA Sceneries 14.40 euros Freeware at FlightSim June 2012 by Menno Robert & Ray Smith
8 Phuket Yangon VTSP-VYYY Burma 1019 550 SimMarket ONETValley  19.20 euros Freeware at AVSIM June 2010 by House-RP, Switzeralnd & Burma (DX9 only)
9 Yangon Chittagong VYYY-VGEG Bangladesh 764 412   Freeware Photoreal VGEG Dec2015 by Shafat Hasan
10 Chittagong Kathmandu VGEG-VNKT Nepal 886 478 SimMarket THAI CREATION  14.40 euros Freeware at FlightSim May 2015 by Roger Leupold 

Dili airport approach is a superb sight, as is Phuket approach. The route from Dili to SIngapore is a very scenic ones, with all big volcanoes following each other along the indonesian islands.

Most of the time at Kathmandu, the ATC gives an incorrect approach ... but that's OK.

Thanks Philippe for your detailed work on add-on sceneries! I appreciate your support very much!

Gernot

• Upvote 1

On 13-7-2016 at 10:02 AM, Philouplaine said:

Hi guys,

map.jpg

Best regards and happy flights!

Philippe

So to recap:

Above as suggested by Philippe, but:

- Put Bangkok (subvarnabuni or Don Mueang?) between VTSP and VYYY.

- Put Paro between VGEG and VNKT

- optional: put Lukla between Paro and VNKT

Correct?

Final remarks before monday August 15th please, so I can finalize.

Thanks for thinking!

Toby

• Upvote 1

Hi Tobus!

I'm quite Ok for all the supplementary stops. It's OK to me.

I would prefer Bangkok-Don Mueang (my Suvarmabuni scenery is making strange and unexpected effects !!!! that's why).

:wub:

Philippe

vor 23 Minuten, Philouplaine sagte:

Hi Tobus!

I'm quite Ok for all the supplementary stops. It's OK to me.

I would prefer Bangkok-Don Mueang (my Suvarmabuni scenery is making strange and unexpected effects !!!! that's why).

:wub:

Philippe

Hi Philippe,

which Bangkok/Suvarnabhumi Airport scenery are you using? Payware or freeware?

On FlightSim.com I found 2 freeware add-on sceneries for VTSB Bangkok/Suvarnabhumi Airport only but non for VTBD Bangkok/Don Mueang International Airport. If you are using one of these freeware sceneries causing the trouble  I agree on your proposal.

If you are using different add-on sceneries for Suvarnabhumi I would prefer to select VTSB Bangkok/Suvarnabhumi Airport as additional destination because of the available freeware add-on scenery..

Hi Toby,

besides the listed issue regarding Bangkok scenery I agree with your proposal of destinations added to Philippes originally proposed route.

Gernot

Well, I am way "off-track" with my present extra flights, so it will probably be closer to Kathmandu before I am able to catch up.

That said, as always I appreciate the plan, effort and input from the contributors.  Thanks guys!

Hi Gernot,

This is the A_A payware for Bangkok-Suvarnabhumi ... trees growing on the tarmac and taxiways here and there and mesh errors : when I'm taxiing, there are here and there ground bumps that are not visible on the screen but my planes is coaster-rolling of a few feet high or below the ground level I see ...

Philippe

On 9.8.2016 at 14:32, Philouplaine sagte:

Hi Gernot,

This is the A_A payware for Bangkok-Suvarnabhumi ... trees growing on the tarmac and taxiways here and there and mesh errors : when I'm taxiing, there are here and there ground bumps that are not visible on the screen but my planes is coaster-rolling of a few feet high or below the ground level I see ...

Philippe

Hi Philippe,

I'm sorry to hear that.

In case of freeware scenery you can't complain if something is not to its best, but in case of  payware scenery this doen't sound well at all.:(

On 9.8.2016 at 1:53 AM, dcda said:

Well, I am way "off-track" with my present extra flights, so it will probably be closer to Kathmandu before I am able to catch up.

That said, as always I appreciate the plan, effort and input from the contributors.  Thanks guys!

That's how I feel.

I'd been away from flying now for quite a while. Probably I can restart during the next days. Beside other activities during the last weeks I tried out finding an acceptable way how to deal with Windows 10 Professional and finally I returned to W7 Pro. Of course there is the option going forward (rather back ???) again one day. However, I have to report a couple of flights and will do it likely later today. As I'm still around Queensland I hope that I can catch up as well during the next section.

On 9-8-2016 at 2:32 PM, Philouplaine said:

Hi Gernot,

Philippe

Looks like interference between sceneries to me. Try searching for the icao named *VTBS*.bgl in your folders.

If there's 1 more next to your payware one, try to rename it and restart sim.