F-14X master test switch unsimulated aspects

f14ABD

The things that are listed in this topic are not super important, although to me I would very much like them to be completely accurate, especially since it seems like it would be the least intensive thing to fix when compared to everything else that Aerosoft simulates accurately on this aircraft.  This topic is mainly a request that the developers of the F-14x could fix these inaccuracies.  Since you make mention of the NATOPS manual I assume you have and I therefore have provided the page numbers where each of the things listed below can be found in the F-14A NATOPS manual.  The first pg. numbers shown for each section are the page numbers in my pdf version of the manual, the second set of page numbers for each section shows the actual page numbers that are in the original printed version.

Wing sweep master test mode is slightly unrealistic.  It does not show the Wing Sweep Program carrot moving from 20 deg to 44 deg then back to 20 deg during the test.  It also does not show the corresponding lights that illuminate on the warning panel (WING SWEEP, FLAP, GLOVE VANE, and REDUCE SPEED) all of which extinguish after test is completed at 25 seconds.  It does however require that the wings be in the emergency stow position, which is realistic. NATOPS Manual pdf pg. 263  NATOPS pg. number 3-19

OBC master test does not run the AICS Ramps through their full motion and therefore the corresponding Ramp lights do not illuminate.  It also does not show the STAB AUG lights lighting up and remaining lit until the test is completed. NATOPS Manual pdf pg. 264 NATOPS pg. number 3-20

The STICK SW master test does not illuminate the spoiler warning light, nor does it cause the spoilers to fail down (NATOPS says fail down, possibly meant to say fall down).  You are supposed to turn the anti-skid switch to SPOILER-BK and then start the STICK SW test, this is meant to cause the spoiler light to illuminate and the spoilers to fall, and the GO light is meant to illuminate only when stick is deflected one inch in each direction.  This does not happen.  NATOPS Manual pdf pg. 265 NATOPS pg. number 3-21

The EMER GEN master test does not show the NO GO light illuminating 1 second prior to GO light illuminating when test is started.  When disconnecting the test, due to the power interuption the AHRS light is supposed to illuminate momentarily, this doesn't happen. Nor do the following lights illuminate during the power transient after the test is complete (transient time approx 1.25 seconds): PITCH STAB 1 and 2; ROLL STAB 1 and 2; YAW STAB OP and OUT; SPOILERS; HZ TAIL AUTH; RUDDER AUTH; AUTO PILOT; MACH TRIM; and R INLET.  All of these lights will go out after the power has reverted back to normal power after 1.25 seconds (i.e. switches from emergency gen to engine Generators, which happens when the test is disconnected) excepting the RUDDER AUTH light which stays on (Resettable with the MASTER RESET pushbutton) and the PITCH and ROLL STAB AUG switches will be tripped to their off position if they were in their on position, which they are at the start of the test if the checklist flows are followed. NATOPS Manual pdf pg. 262-263 NATOPS pg. number 3-18 and 3-19

Not Very Important things:
The F-14x Emergency Flt Hyd switch simulates On flag for High position, and low position, but does not show off flag for both high and low when switch is placed in auto, it does in real life. NATOPS manual pdf. pg. 261 NATOPS pg. number 3-17

OFF Flag in RADAR altimeter is not simulated and radar altimeter cannot be turned off.  Also when button is depressed to test position the green test light should illuminate and needle should only read 100ft.  When the test is stopped, the needle should return to 0ft, the low alt warning tone should be heard and the ALT LOW light is supposed to illuminate. NATOPS manual pdf pg 496 NATOPS pg. number 7-62 and NATOPS Manual pdf 265 NATOPS pg. number 3-21

I was very pleased with the rest of the master test switch positions because they are very accurate.

Archived