Mega Airport Frankfurt v2 VAS Use

vor 20 Stunden , sydney1962 sagte:

cargostorm,

maybe a small youtube movie should be useful , with one scenery, so we can watch it and make it step by step.

after all they work all the same if you know the trick.

Sorry Sydney, I am not a video maker as it is too time consuming.

Anyway, perhaps you find all information here: http://www.avsim.com/topic/476438-do-you-install-your-addon-scenery-into-p3dv3-or-outside/

or here http://www.flytampa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7737

Regards,

Chris

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just reading this topic decided to purchase new EDDF V2 and check if my powerful system (i4790k at 4Hz and GTX980 Ti) could handle it.

I use only necessary add-ons: PMDG 737NGX, Orbix Global, GSX, ASN, FSCaptain, MyTraffic 6 (Traffic 14%, GA 0%, Cars 4%, Water low x2, Ships 0%). Nothing else.

Almost all settings are maxed out. I use many different airports such as EGLL, KLAX, KLAS, KJFK, KSEA, KMCO, EFHK etc. All done by well known companies. My settings let me fly without any troubles to all these locations.

1. Made the first flight Frankfurt EDDF to St. Petersburg ULLI. No problem.

Just what I have noticed that the traffic in Fraport is much heavier (more planes and ground movements) than in all other airports I use while my traffic setting was unchanged at 14%.

VAS maximum in EDDF was 3.8Gb (at FL100). I came to the gate in ULLI with VAS at 3.6Gb.

2. Second flight was Rome LIRF to Frankfurt EDDF. Night flight.

Maximum VAS in LIRF was during taxi at 2.9Gb.

VAS on TOC was 2.6Gb.

VAS on descend at FL100 was 2.7Gb. Absolutely normal.

VAS on FL 060 was 2.9Gb. Ok.

But when I reached 4.000 feet around 7 miles from RWY 25R it has increased abnormally to 3.8Gb. This never happens in other airports. Max increase can be 200-300MB but not almost 1Gb!

I have vacated RWY with VAS 3.9Gb. Decided not to switch on GSX and taxi to any gate. Just coming very close to the nearest gate I got OOM.

I should say that the scenery is very nice especially in the night. I can't say it's not possible to fly into EDDF V2. I will decrease the traffic to 7% and sure it will work out .

But comparing with all other Mega Airports such dramatic increase of VAS during landing is not normal. 

Alex

3 hours ago, Cargostorm said:

It appears you forgot to mention which platform you used (FSX, FSX-STEAM, P3D v3.2, 3.3)??

I use FSX STEAM

Hello,

It might be my first post here but I have bought Aerosoft products from FS98. I remember those boxed German Airports CD's arriving in the mail? Heh. Good times.

Unfortunately, I have witnessed how Aerosoft is in a slow decline over the last years. Disasters like Thessaloniki, Zurich v2 (which is absolutely ABYSMAL for today's standards) and this latest Frankfurt v2, to mention just a few, are testament to this decline. In addition, the attitude of the staff is disgusting. I think it's important you understand that you exist because we buy your products. Yet, I see over and over again comments from admins that seem to suggest it's not really their problem if a product is unusable. Turn down this. Don't use that. Tune down this. Well here is the big question nobody from Aerosoft seems to answer... why don't we get OOM's at Flytampa and Taxi2Gate sceneries? Why are the framerates better? Why is it I am able to fly a 12 hour flight into Taxi2Gate EDDM with the PMDG 777, REX textures, ASN, GSX, ORBX Global + Vector + Open LC, 100% traffic, road trafic, etc. etc. etc. yet today flying from Djerba which has like 20mb VAS in the QW757 which has a super low VAS footprint I OOM at EDDF v2. Interesting question. NO. It's not my setup. NO. It's not my cfg. MAYBE... and just MAYBE it's your product? I have 100+ airports I fly to. Guess what? Only airport I OOM is Frankfurt V2. I don't even get OOM's at EGLL after 12hr flights with the PMDG 777 and that's without save at TOD, that's how efficient my machine is at the moment. Things aren't getting better at Aerosoft. They are getting worse. So, delete my post. Make up some excuses. Have one of those 50 year old smug pensioneers make a sleek comeback. I don't care. Fix your company. It's going to hell. Seriously. Small teams like Pacific Island Simulations are putting you to shame! Have you seen RPLL or RCTP??? Jesus Christ!

On 7/3/2016 at 1:04 AM, OVI said:

Just reading this topic decided to purchase new EDDF V2 and check if my powerful system (i4790k at 4Hz and GTX980 Ti) could handle it.

I use only necessary add-ons: PMDG 737NGX, Orbix Global, GSX, ASN, FSCaptain, MyTraffic 6 (Traffic 14%, GA 0%, Cars 4%, Water low x2, Ships 0%). Nothing else.

Almost all settings are maxed out. I use many different airports such as EGLL, KLAX, KLAS, KJFK, KSEA, KMCO, EFHK etc. All done by well known companies. My settings let me fly without any troubles to all these locations.

1. Made the first flight Frankfurt EDDF to St. Petersburg ULLI. No problem.

Just what I have noticed that the traffic in Fraport is much heavier (more planes and ground movements) than in all other airports I use while my traffic setting was unchanged at 14%.

VAS maximum in EDDF was 3.8Gb (at FL100). I came to the gate in ULLI with VAS at 3.6Gb.

2. Second flight was Rome LIRF to Frankfurt EDDF. Night flight.

Maximum VAS in LIRF was during taxi at 2.9Gb.

VAS on TOC was 2.6Gb.

VAS on descend at FL100 was 2.7Gb. Absolutely normal.

VAS on FL 060 was 2.9Gb. Ok.

But when I reached 4.000 feet around 7 miles from RWY 25R it has increased abnormally to 3.8Gb. This never happens in other airports. Max increase can be 200-300MB but not almost 1Gb!

I have vacated RWY with VAS 3.9Gb. Decided not to switch on GSX and taxi to any gate. Just coming very close to the nearest gate I got OOM.

I should say that the scenery is very nice especially in the night. I can't say it's not possible to fly into EDDF V2. I will decrease the traffic to 7% and sure it will work out .

But comparing with all other Mega Airports such dramatic increase of VAS during landing is not normal. 

Alex

i get the same result. EDDF is the only airport i have that i cant do a return leg from due to this. i monitored it during a flight from EKCH two days ago in the A319. 2.85GB used 40miles into the flight out of EKCH. and 3.85GB (1024 textures and normal autogen/airport complexity settings) at landing in EDDF. there were no clouds or traffic that could affect this at any of the destinations.

Another thing i dont really understand is that when you fly to other airports E.g. Flytampa Vienna, EKCH, or ORBX ESSA the memory goes up as you approach and is at the airport and then gets dumped more or less as you fly out of there again if you're doing a return leg. but with EDDF it remains high and seems to only dump like 50-100mb when you clear the airport.

This is on P3D V3.3.5, Windows 10 64bit.

Well tried another flight today on my usual settings and no OOM.

LOWW (FlyTampa) - EDDF with Aerosoft A320. Addons: REX textures, ORBX Global + Vector + Open LC, AI 100%, GSX, ASN, AISmooth.

Completed the flight up to gate and shutdown. No save TOD. If it helps anybody I can share my settings. I use this config for most aiports with great success. Have not seen OOM in almost half a year even at EGLL. Can't post all, but here are the most important:

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024

LOD_RADIUS=4.500000
MESH_COMPLEXITY=100
MESH_RESOLUTION=25
TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=29

FreewayDensity=10

AUTOGEN_DENSITY=2

As I said no OOM even with traffic at 100%. I understand most of you are nowhere near that number so it should be even better for you.

vor 21 Stunden , pauliethepilot sagte:

Well tried another flight today on my usual settings and no OOM.

LOWW (FlyTampa) - EDDF with Aerosoft A320. Addons: REX textures, ORBX Global + Vector + Open LC, AI 100%, GSX, ASN, AISmooth.

Completed the flight up to gate and shutdown. No save TOD. If it helps anybody I can share my settings. I use this config for most aiports with great success. Have not seen OOM in almost half a year even at EGLL. Can't post all, but here are the most important:

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024

LOD_RADIUS=4.500000
MESH_COMPLEXITY=100
MESH_RESOLUTION=25
TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=29

FreewayDensity=10

AUTOGEN_DENSITY=2

As I said no OOM even with traffic at 100%. I understand most of you are nowhere near that number so it should be even better for you.

Well, the more important question is: Which simulator do you use? FSX, FSX:SE or P3D? I ask because the OOM problems mainly seem to affect FSX users. And I suppose that whether one gets OOM problems might also depend on what kind of system you're running your simulator on.

On 8.7.2016 at 14:54, pauliethepilot sagte:

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024

LOD_RADIUS=4.500000
MESH_COMPLEXITY=100
MESH_RESOLUTION=25
TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=29

FreewayDensity=10

AUTOGEN_DENSITY=2

Because you have done a lot of things right! Low texture resolution (1024), default LOD radius (4.5) and normal autogen (2). All these parameters will have an impact on VAS when set too far to the right, which is one reason why some suffer OOMs.

Sorry I forgot to mention, I am using FSX. I actually use 2 cfg's depending on where I fly to. This is my low setting cfg which I use at the following airports no matter if departing or arriving as any higher setting results in OOM for sure:

EGLL Extended, FSDT KLAX, T2G MMMX, Flightbeam KSFO, EDDF, FlyTampa Syndey, and FlyTampa Copenhagen.

For the rest of the airports I use a bit higher settings. LOD at 5.5 and Autogen at 3. I always keep max texture load at 1024 as I have seen absolutely no benefit for a higher setting.

It took me a ridiculous amount of time to be able to fly without OOM's to these destinations while keeping AI at 100% which is very important to me. For me one of the biggest killers is the autogen. Airports in the middle of cities with dense autogen suffer the most. Airports like EGLL, Sydney, KLAX are surrounded by autogen. For me this is the biggest VAS eater next to LOD. Compare that to airports which are in more rural areas. EDDM, KDEN and VHHH are a good example. For these I leave my autogen at 3 and LOD at 5.5 because the amount of objects such as trees, houses etc. is not too great. Remember Thessaloniki? The OOM issue was due to the amount of autogen buildings in the city. I also use Scenery Config Editor to turn off absolutely all scenery I don't fly to.

As far as my setup. It is as follows:

i7-6700K @ 4Ghz // AffinityMask=62 in cfg

16GB 1666Mhz Ram

GTX 980 4GB

Some of you, like me might be really reluctant to use my low cfg setup because you don't want to sacrifice eye candy but actually the sim looks quite good. I'll attach a couple of pics so you see it's not really that big of a visual hit.

Thanks and take care. Happy flying!

Please login to display this image.

I recently had a complete failure of my secondary disk drive.  Thus, I bought a new SSD and installed a clean version of P3D 3.3.5.  Before I filled P3D with 3rd party sceneries and aircraft, I did a test.  With only the following addons installed, AS Airbus A318/319/320/321 and EDDF V2, I started in EDDF and flew several circles around it using the AS A321.  Not only was I able to duplicate Mathias' VAS usage numbers, my usage was a tad less.  When I had FSX-SE still installed on my failed hard drive, I did get OOM warning when on final approach to not only EDDF V2 but AS KSMF as well.  P3Dv3.1 did not OOM or give warnings.  I own FSX Boxed and FSX-SE as well as P3DV3x, I no longer see a reason to install the aforementioned simulators.  P3D has evolved enough now that it's memory management and FPS performance is far superior to that of FSX.

Well, not everyone wants to buy a new simulator just because one scenery doesn't function. Even if it's quite an important scenery.

An update about my VAS problem: In the PMDG 777-200LR (even in its latest version that is a bit easier on the VAS), I don't even manage to taxi from the gate to the take-off runway in Frankfurt when I start my flight there. I have a VAS usage of 90 or 91 % already at the gate, even without using the external view and with only the view tilts necessary to do all the pre-flight tasks in the cockpit. (At other busy airports, I usually have only around 65 % VAS usage in the 777). As soon as I taxi towards the runway, the VAS usage quickly climbs to 95 or 96 % - which eventually leads to the almost inevitable OOM, before I could even take off. This is getting really frustrating, especially since I actually wanted to do a long-haul flight in the 777 from EDDF tomorrow. My consequence will have to be that I start the flight right away at the runway threshold and take off immediately. In its current shape EDDF in FSX really is a VAS beast one only wants to escape from. :(

i really put all my settings down, and i am running a really good system.....so far not one successfull flight to EDDF, every time i get an OOM call...

Yes, flights to EDDF (unless it was a short traffic pattern around the airport) always resulted in OOMs for me as well. But usually, flights from EDDF should work (which is weak consolation, I know).

Speaking of flights from EDDF: I finally managed to take off in my PMDG 777 from EDDF, but only after de-activating Aerosoft's Egelsbach. That brought me those extra 1 to 3 % of VAS that helped me to narrowly escape an OOM. But still, I had a VAS usage of 92 or 93 % shortly before or even at take-off then. This is still hard to bear. I really do hope that they find a solution for this. Even if that was a smaller airport and a different team of developers, but they managed to reduce the VAS impact of Mega Airport Helsinki in a later update, too.

Come on Aerosoft ... please sort this non-sense out with OOMs at EDDF. Sick and tired to hold my breath every time you approach EDDF and with pure luck (6/10) you manage to taxi to the gate until someone farts in Terminal 1 and then the whole caboodle falls over into a dreaded OOM.

Everything is turned off and only EDDF active in scenery.cfg; ASN to 2 layers and AI at 10% -.-.-. For goodness sake, how difficult could it be if you compare it to EGLL (22-25 FPS no VAS issue); LSZH (25-28 FPS no VAS issues) and EDDT (25-28 FPS no VAS issue) and that with three notoriously FPS killers!

Since AES has been activated for EDDF it is simply impossible to fly into EDDF without an OOM. I've now tried everything except dropping the engines of the aircraft as well. The rest is turned off or down or less or disabled or whatever will please this scenery carbuncle. And I gather from Aersoft's silence that this is how it is and unless you only fly out of EDDF, nothing can and will be done :mellow:

Sad indeed. 

Has anyone tried turning AI traffic "Off" and seeing if a landing and taxi is possible for FSX?  I'm just curious if someone wouldn't mind trying, preferably with the PMDG 777.  I can live with landing and no AI, then using AI for departure.  Anyways if anyone has the time thanks.

13 hours ago, crash said:

Has anyone tried turning AI traffic "Off" and seeing if a landing and taxi is possible for FSX?

I've tried it and the problem with EDDF is that it is not consistent ... without AI the VAS is definitely less (meaning less OOMs) but something spikes somewhere because it shows 500MB VAS left and then 'BOOM!' it bombs out with OOM. something definitely changed after AES was enabled for EDDF because now it consistently OOM on approach from another airport or when taxiing to the gate. It's ridiculous to accept that if you want to fly to EDDF you have to do it without AI, ASN, or any other plug in if no other airport results to the same problem. 

I support your request for a status update, Terblanche. Come on, Aerosoft - don't let us down. It has been two months of VAS issues in EDDF v2 now - and apparently, not only for Terblanche and me. It would be really nice if you could contact the GAP developers and ask them whether they see any chance for a lighter EDDF version (or at least for a scenery configurator that allows to switch some features off). So far, we only got a rather meagre statement that work is going on by someone who (according to my understanding) is not even working in the Aerosoft back office, but a private user who moderates these forums and maybe doesn't receive all the latest information regarding developments, updates etc.. We are paying customers for EDDF v2, and speaking of my person, I paid already quite a load of bucks for many other (usually very well-performing) Aerosoft products and am planning to do so also in the future. I think that we deserve a bit of reassurance that the GAP team is investigating into the problems and (hopefully) sees at least a small chance to reduce the VAS problems for us. And even if they see no chance whatsoever, it would be nice to know that, too. Thank you!

I don't have FTX Vector, so this is definitely not the reason for my OOM problems. And no, I won't switch to another simulator just because one scenery doesn't work properly in FSX while all my other sceneries do. Aerosoft advertises EDDF v2 as a scenery for FSX, FSX:SE and P3D - so I don't think it is presumptuous to ask them and the GAP team to look for possibilities to operate EDDF v2 properly also in FSX, is it?

vor 17 Minuten, FWAviation sagte:

I don't have FTX Vector, so this is definitely not the reason for my OOM problems. And no, I won't switch to another simulator just because one scenery doesn't work properly in FSX while all my other sceneries do. Aerosoft advertises EDDF v2 as a scenery for FSX, FSX:SE and P3D - so I don't think it is presumptuous to ask them and the GAP team to look for possibilities to operate EDDF v2 properly also in FSX, is it?

I do not know what you have already tried. But an OOM is always a sign that your system is overloaded. EDDF v2 and a system-intensive aircraft such as the PMDG NGX or 777 at high graphics and autogen settings will most likely result in an OOM in FSX.  If you additionally use HD textures for the aircraft livery or HD clouds it is just too much what the system can handle. In such situations, the graphic, autogen and traffic sliders must go to the left to gain some overhang in VAS. A comparison with other sceneries does not necessarily apply as each situation and workload for the system are different.

One must learn to adapt the system to the scenery in use and there is no reason to use HD textures higher than 2048.

16 hours ago, bmn_com said:

for vas problems try disabling ftx vector and using p3dv3 and post back the results....

Okay, I've turned it OFF and was able to land with Aerosoft A320 and taxi to the gate. Just one more thing to turn OFF when you attempt to approach EDDF.  It's beyond ridiculous seeing that this is the only scenery in a library of ± 150 addon sceneries that I have that selfishly takes up every single bite of VAS.

But this topic has now been discussed ad infinitum ad nausea on this forum.

It's quite obvious that it has been designed to start your sim on EDDF and then go "WHAO!" for the VAS and FPS use, and then you fly a circuit and sing hallelujahs on how splendid it is while criss-crossing with a bunch of default airports. It's obviously not designed with an eye on FSX users that have a library full of paid-sceneries; ASN, EFB, EZdok, FSForce, ProATC, and many other plugins - not to mention REX textures and ORBX Terrain sceneries. And it is most definitely not designed with an ear on the ground what other developers manage to do with big airports without any problems whatsoever.

Enough said. Let me not lament any further. Es ist was es ist.

6 hours ago, Cargostorm said:

One must learn to adapt the system to the scenery in use and there is no reason to use HD textures higher than 2048.

I'm 100% with you and I am on 2048 ... my gripe is that every other scenery in my library works 100% and touch-wood haven't had an OOM even with EGLL because I turn down and switch off when that is your destination but EDDF is plain and simple a VAS glutton and I'm absolutely 100% sure that it can be fixed if they tone down on the VAS(t) amount of memory usage in this scenery. 

vor 11 Stunden , Cargostorm sagte:

I do not know what you have already tried. But an OOM is always a sign that your system is overloaded. EDDF v2 and a system-intensive aircraft such as the PMDG NGX or 777 at high graphics and autogen settings will most likely result in an OOM in FSX.  If you additionally use HD textures for the aircraft livery or HD clouds it is just too much what the system can handle. In such situations, the graphic, autogen and traffic sliders must go to the left to gain some overhang in VAS. A comparison with other sceneries does not necessarily apply as each situation and workload for the system are different.

As I mentioned before, I tried everything, including switching off every other add-on scenery, turning traffic down, turning my other sliders down - and I have my textures permanently set at only 1024. Still, even in a not-so-VAS-intensive plane like the Aerosoft A320, I get an OOM or are at least very near to it especially during or shortly after approach to EDDF. So I can wholeheartedly support Terblanche in saying that this scenery is simply pretty much unflyable in FSX unless you only depart from EDDF and unless you choose only the most minimum of settings.

Archived