Mega Airport Frankfurt v2 VAS Use

1 hour ago, data63 said:

your version of FS (SP1/SP2/Acc/SE)?

DX9 or 10?

any BUFFERPOOL tweaks?

FSX Acc

DX9

No tweaks, only widescreen. and the mem fix that come with SP2.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Vor 1 Stunde, Djembe sagte:

FSX Acc

DX9

No tweaks, only widescreen. and the mem fix that come with SP2.

maybe you try DX10 preview (with Steve's DX10Fixer) this would free up some VAS shadowing the GPU memory

to try DX10 without buying the payware fixer you could download the older freeware version (avsim if remember right...) and check if it helps with your VAS issue

I switched to DX10 with FSDT's CYVR - and it helped me very much

vor 1 minute, flusi748 sagte:

Little questions to you @data63 : How is the impact relating to FPS and VAS at FSDTs CYVR and can you recommend the scenery? What texture/shadow resolution you selected at the installation? Thanks ;) 

It's been some time.... I think it was about 200-300MB (enough dif to use the scenery with some AI traffic) - FSDT setting to "medium / 2048" (sufficient for my needs) - FPS where not really affected (just VAS) - using a 2GB graphics card

the scenery is really great - beautiful approaches (using ORBX PNW)

in that days I flew PANC/PAFA -> CYVR with the PMDG 737 (ASA)

• Deputy Sheriffs

The problem with EDDF and VAS-usage seems to be the “storage management” of the SIM (in my case P3D 3.4.9) e.g. that scenery which is no longer needed is not “removed” and space not freed for newly to be loaded scenery. I never had that issue before flying into EDDF but it seems that Frankfurt 2.0 just needs much space…….. For me the only solution seems to be to - when flying into EDDF - is

• to reload the scenery just app. 30 NM before EDDF or
  • to manually disable certain scenery you already passed if it is no longer needed. In my case this is ORBX Germany North …… but this has nearly the same effect like reloading the scenery 30 NM before EDDF or/and
  • disable in your Scenery Library "Mega Airport Frankfurt 2.0 Terrain"

or if this does not help then you have to lower your settings.

Regards,

Rolf

On 30/10/2016 at 4:14 AM, Djembe said:

I have problems with OOM when i approach to EDDF in FSX.

I have many other airports from many developers and i never had this problem.

My best advice is CHANGE TO P3DV3. I also posted a comment about having problems with EDDF, but since i got P3D V3 the simulator is just perfect.

I have the same addons running ( a lot of them) and i can keep FPS above 35 FPS all the time in EDDF, and my VAS doesnt go above 3,3 GB. During flight i get an average of 60 to 70 FPS.

So every FSX user, forget about tweaking and scenery cfg tools, etc.... Just get P3D V3 and about 99% of your problems will go away.

I am using:

-FTX Global+Vector+OpenLC

-Addon Aircrafts, and airports.

-My traffic 6

-Active Sky 2016 + ASCA

-FSFX (PrecipitFX and A320 immersion)

-Rex 4 plus Soft Clouds

I am also using really high graphic settings. And by the way there is no need to tweak your P3D, the best you can do is add a suitable Affinity Mask.

On 11/3/2016 at 11:24 AM, Mathijs Kok said:

If you really feel we should solve it I will ask the developers to consider a light version. I honestly don't see that could solve anything but if that is what it takes to solve the issue I will.

Hi Mathijs,

Can I just throw in my vote for a light version? This is a lovely scenery that actually performs very well framerate-wise on my system, but I literally can't even depart (let alone arrive at) this airport in a PMDG aircraft without the OOM chime sounding continuously during taxi and takeoff--and sometimes actually getting an OOM. I'd be willing to settle for some compromises to make this scenery more usable.

And I totally understand what you've said about this being an inherently VAS-hungry area. I'm not here to blame Aerosoft for somehow not optimizing this scenery--you've said it's less VAS-intensive than Dubai. I believe you! I'd just like to be able to use it without constantly worrying about (or suffering) an OOM. Not Aerosoft's fault, but it does mean that the product doesn't ultimately do me much good as it stands now. So if there's a way to fix that, even with some tradeoffs, I'd be very grateful.

James

• 3 weeks later...

I have a similar problem with EDDF V2 (or rather with P3D when using EDDF V2). If I start there I usually won't get an OOM. If I fly there, I can actually count on being OOMed out of the virtual skies. But I think this is not an EDDF V2. problem alone - if at all. I use P3D V3.4 and this version is known to have VAS issues. Plus the new ASCA + AS16 does it's part too. I used to use ASN, FTX Global on P3D V3.3 on an older I7 920. EDDF V2 brought crappy frames for me (like 15-17fps) but with the new machine that's not an issue anymore. It's just the VAS... when I start with a PMDG 736 at Gate A21 I would have max. 1.2 GB left. After departure I am usally down to 900. Flying to EDDF it is worse. I ended up on final with 30 MB (MB!) left... shortly after P3D crashed (no surprise there...).

So - would it help to deactive some of the textures that come with EDDF V2? Like ground textures of the surrounding forest etc.?

But you simply ignore the possible additional causes that are unavoidable. Again, see here:

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/112271-mega-airport-frankfurt-v2-vas-use/&page=7#comment-775134

If you want to compare Dubai and Frankfurt, it's there. If you feel the base load of the sim should be the same in Dubai/Abu/Hamad/Bahrain compared to Frankfurt you will have to speak to the people who made the sim. They used the memory there, not our add-on. In fact, Frankfurt uses less than ANY of the add-ons you mention.

There are no plans to simplify this airport to make it easier on VAS. Doing so in any measurable form would mean removing major parts of the scenery and even then a lot of people would have issues due to the base load the scenery has to handle there. Last week I asked a customer who had a very very long email conversation with my support team on this issue to repeat the flight that guaranteed him to OOM using default Frankfurt from FSX:Steam. He got an OOM on approach. 

Now that said, we have tens of thousands of customers who do NOT get memory issues. Personally I have not seen an OOM in years in P3D (I do have them in FSX:SP2) because I am cautious in add-ons and settings and because I hate OOMs. I actively avoid them. I fully understand other people feel different, they do not mind living a bit close to the edge. But that means that in some conditions you run over the edge. Blame Windows 32 bit. I am really sorry to say it like this, but if people ignore facts like you do, a conversation is very hard.

Do the experiments I did and you will fully understand the issue. Now for you the solution might be a castrated scenery of Frankfurt but that is a solution we do not like. Basically because the sim offers all the settings to castrate the scenery yourself. If your setup can't handle the memory load, the memory load has to be lowered. Now we can do that by simplifying and deleting a lot of things or you can do with your sliders. What sounds more logical? In the meantime all the other people who do not have memory issues can leave the sliders right and enjoy the scenery as the developers intended.

This issue has been hashed over at least 6 times by now. But let me say it one more time to be 100% clear. There are no plans to remove or simplify objects to lower VAS use. You can do those things yourself, you don't need us for that. I am really sorry if you are unhappy about this reply, but it is the best I can do. There won't be any other. 

You are right. I have lot's of addon in FSX, Orbx scenery, Aerosoft Airbus, Pmdg 737 and 777, Opus fsi,Rex4 texture direct, etc. I use dx10 with Steve fixer, and Nvidia inspector. I am able to fly from OMDB to EDDF with Pmdg 777 and Land withouth problems. Of course, I have to make a compromise and low a bit the slider ( not much, from very dense to dense scenery), disable in orbx Vector some road, and traffic Cars, lowered in FSX.cfg buildings and trees, lowered the AI traffic ( I use My traffic pro 6) at 15%, and other things like this. I NEVER had OOM! Just a some fps rate lowered in approach and final, from 30-45 to 18-22 ( but this is normal I think). And all this with my low-mid level pc: Intel i5, 8gb RAM, and Nvidia GeForce GT 420!!! Unbilivabel eh?

Inviato dal mio HUAWEI SCL-L01 utilizzando Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Having read the whole thread, I want to add a few things about the scenery...

I am running FSX Accleration with FTX Global + Vector, Aerosoft MA EDDF v2 and Aerosoft MA EGLL Xtended. I have never experienced OOM since I got used to enter the STAR into FMC 5-10 mins before descent to avoid memory leak caused by "haeding-to-radial-intercept" missed approach. So strange was that the OOM came back after I installed EDDF v2 in the flight from LOWW to EGLL (yea...EDDF was not DEST nor ORIGIN) . What I saw was that the used VAS was increasing continuously and gently along the journey in the cruising stage, similiar to the phenomenon of memory leak.

I didn't suspect that this scenery was directly or indirectly causing memory issue until I found this post. Then I tried to uninstall this scenery to see whether the memory still leaked when cruising. Surprisingly the VAS was very stable and not leaking as a result!

I understand that OOM can be caused by many possible factors. However, it is possible that FTX Global/Vector is partially incompatible with the scenery causing certain extent of memory leak, at least in FSX. I am not saying Aerosoft should take full responsibility, but I think the developers should focus not only on the comparision between the default EDDF and the Aerosoft's one, but also the possibility that certain kind of problems can be triggered when the users got other mainstream addons installed.

Again, I must emphasise that I have never experienced OOM before and I am familiar with the use-end settings relevant to memory usage.

• 1 month later...
On 30.12.2016 at 19:48, AnsonTz sagte:

So strange was that the OOM came back after I installed EDDF v2 in the flight from LOWW to EGLL (yea...EDDF was not DEST nor ORIGIN) . What I saw was that the used VAS was increasing continuously and gently along the journey in the cruising stage, similiar to the phenomenon of memory leak.

I didn't suspect that this scenery was directly or indirectly causing memory issue until I found this post. Then I tried to uninstall this scenery to see whether the memory still leaked when cruising. Surprisingly the VAS was very stable and not leaking as a result!

I think I found the problem why a lot of users get an OOM even without approaching the airport.

1. Unfortunately the satellite imagery has been compiled with completely wrong LOD settings (see picture below). 
  2. Splitting the photoscenery in multiple files can also save VAS. For Frankfurt there is just one file ("eddf_aerial.bgl").
  3. Maybe the compression quality of the resampled file is too high, this increases the file size a lot. 

Please login to display this image.

As we all know Flight Simulator loads the terrain as tiles. This means that at a LOD value of "0" FSX or P3D will always load a basic and blurry layer. So with an increasing number of this value the terrain gets more and more sharper. Now because Frankfurt has wrong LOD settings (LOD=0,17), Flight Simulator will always load the photoscenery even when not flying in this area.

However these few things can easily be changed and the photoscenery just need to be resampled again:

[Destination]
DestDir="."
DestBaseFileName="eddf_aerial"
LOD=6,17                                              (4, 5 or 6)
CompressionQuality=85                        (85-90 give the best results between file size and photoreal quality)

I hope the developers will check this out and report if it worked to decrease the VAS. :)

• Developer

@thokle:
just curious: Why do you think a LOD of "0" will do anything wrong with the VAS memory ? The resampled aerials, no matter which LOD, do not affect the VAS memory at all.
You can simply make the test yourself and load a scenery with or without resampled ground: VAS is the same despite some minor KB used for aerial placement
(Autogen turned off, otherwise this will lead to wrong comparisons). Sure one could resample with a lowest LOD of 6 or else, but this could also lead to some side effects,
like having default ground visible "in a hole" of your aerial when looking from above.
Could you give me some more informations about your "0" LOD issue or is it just a assumption ?

Thorsten

vor 21 Stunden , Autopiloth sagte:

@thokle:
Why do you think a LOD of "0" will do anything wrong with the VAS memory ? 
Could you give me some more informations about your "0" LOD issue or is it just a assumption ?

Because Frankfurt is the first of my big airport sceneries where I got an out of memory in P3D v3 and it is the only scenery that has its resampled satellite imagery beginning from LOD 0.

All the other sceneries have also splitted photoscenery tiles (FlyTampa EKCH, Digital Design LOWS, T2G EDDM, LFPG) and they all also have the LOD beginning from 4, 5 or 6.

Why not just trial and error? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/30/2016 at 9:53 PM, Jlunddk said:

I'm holding off on buying EDDF, since I read a lot about people having VAS problems and OOM's. However most of what I see is with FSX. Does the same vas / ooms happend with P3D v 3.1?

There's also lots of advise on turning down detail, autogen, no ai etc.etc, but where's the fun in having a great looking sim with great addons, if you have to turn everything down to be able to complete a flight.

It certaintly look great in the screenshots I have seen, but if I can't use it with the addons I already have, I'm not sure this one is gonna make it to my HDD.

Processor:    i7-4790 @ 4.0Ghz

Memory:       16GB

GPU:            GTX 970 - 2048MB GDDR5 

System:        Windows 7  64bit

Sim:              P3D v3.1

I wish I had, I love the extra gates, but I'm gonna have to remove V2 and go back to V1 :-( Now EDDF is up there with FSDT KLAX as airport I can NOT fly PMDG aircraft into. Crap..........

Scott

• 2 months later...
On ‎27‎.‎02‎.‎2017 at 12:42, thokle sagte:

Because Frankfurt is the first of my big airport sceneries where I got an out of memory in P3D v3 and it is the only scenery that has its resampled satellite imagery beginning from LOD 0.

All the other sceneries have also splitted photoscenery tiles (FlyTampa EKCH, Digital Design LOWS, T2G EDDM, LFPG) and they all also have the LOD beginning from 4, 5 or 6.

Why not just trial and error? 

On ‎27‎.‎02‎.‎2017 at 13:26, Mathijs Kok sagte:

I'll forward this to the developers. But as I have shown a few times, it simply does not use a lot more than the default Frankfurt.

Hi all together,

after upgrading from EDDF V1 to V2.10 I experienced the OOM's with the new PMFG B747-400 and did a lot of investigations now.

First to avoid any questions about my background, I'm IT engineer since 30 years and I'm familiar with OS systems as well as with programming C++ and assembler. So I know about the
limitations of this awesome 32-Bit FSX and all depending advantages and disadvantages of a Windows 10 64-Bit environment.

The FPS isn't any problem with my 6 core machine and GTX 780 TI, but the OOM is one since installation of this Version 2.10. I didn't have that before although I've some really detailed addon airports like KLAX, KLAS, KMIA, LEIB, LEPA, TNCM. Currently I created a standard test environment with the PMDG (IRS initialized, radar on, typical gate status of the cockpit)
parking on gates at each of the above airports. I set an outside view with approximately 45 degrees and most possible distance to get a view over a big distance of the scene. This ensures that there aren't any effects during a flight on approach and allows to compare in an objective way. There aren't any (HD-)scenery addons except the listed airports. The weather is always clear and the time is set to daylight.

Then I'm retrieving the VAS just after loading (ASN off, UT-Live off, standard traffic off) and as second measurement the VAS after a 360 turn with the joystick hat switch.

Additional I found the Version V2.11 now and did some screenshots with V2.10 and V2.11. It seems that there's a little better VAS consumption but I'm not sure if the suggestion made by "thokle" has affected the new release. The area file is still a single file. From my knowledge, I agree that this may be a useful solution. Additional I'll try to disable the terrain for testing. Perhaps there may be the possibility to reduce the forest density. It looks really nice, but that can't be a reason to reduce the rest of the world into bad looking year 2000 environments.
Especially regarding the fact, that I agree to all guys only having these problems in EDDF. And with EDDF V1 it worked really fine. Downgrading back to V1 would be a bad option, because of the manually changing the navigation data only for EDDF in that case. Not to forget that we paid for the new version.

- EDIT: Readme.txt found (expected it in installation package, not in installation folder). Suggestion by "thokle" not included. That's what I hoped, because there isn't any improvement with VAS consumption in version V2.11. So we may still hope that this suggestion will help.

- And yes I really appreciate that you forwarded this suggestion by "thokle" to the developers. But is there already any status or report?

Now I continue with testing, the screenshots may be send to you when I finished it.

OFF-TOPIC: I can't imagine that there isn't any successor being able to substitute this 32-Bit version, although everyone notifies that the community is waiting for it since 7 years now and the addon market is running very well. All attempts seem to be busted-flush. We don't need a game, we need a simulator:
- 64 Bit

- Current graphics engine (for example that one from GTA-V, A GAME!)
- Improved ATC

- Improved airport procedures

- Improved weather engine

- Same open architecture for that really great addon developers (Aerosoft as well!)

OFF-TOPIC-END

Please improve your handling with customer reports. Some posts aren't really nice and it's no doubt for every one knowing such complex and different settings, that you only can improve the software by these reports. That's not to blame you, that's only to help improving the product for everyone and experiencing a most realistic simulation.

Attachements:

*-01.png --> before 360

*-02.png --> after 360

Version is part of the file name.

Other airports will be done now. But a first test confirmed the reports by other guys, that the consumption is much lower.

Regards,

Stefan

• 4 weeks later...

Hi again,

did a lot of tests now and a lot of different approaches with PMDG B747-400 V2. With following settings it is close to VAS limits but it works!

[Graphics]

TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024

[Scenery]

IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=4 // Affecting VAS
[Terrain]

LOD_RADIUS=3.500000 // Affecting VAS

MESH_COMPLEXITY=84

MESH_RESOLUTION=24 // Aerosoft recommendation, original 22

TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=27 // Aerosoft recommendation, original 25

AUTOGEN_DENSITY=3 // Aerosoft recommendation 4, original 5 // Affecting VAS

WATER_EFFECTS=4 // Aerosoft recommendation 3 // Affecting VAS

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=1500 // Affecting VAS
TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=500// Affecting VAS

// Affecting VAS = means that there's a visible difference. Some higher settings of other parameters didn't affect the VAS during the tests at least.

Regarding some other environments, the difference isn't such high, but:

- KLAS and KMIA have a detailed environment and use 3,5 GB (KLAS) and 3,7 GB (KMIA) at all.

- KLAX and TNCM have lower values because of the missing detailed city environments.

----> There may be some more optimizations, would be glad to check the above mentioned LOD settings.

----> Some more experiences by other users/developers to improve?

• 1 month later...

Hi is it possible to ask to the dev to release an exclude to avoid to have tree on the run up apron on the south when not using the terrain folder ??

Without it, I can Fly in without OOM

Thanks a lot

Archived