Shalom and greetings all my pals,

I have weird problem now.  My FSX Deluxe with SP1 and SP2 in Windows 7 Professional always freezes 2 minutes after take off as seen on the error message below:

Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: fsx.exe
Application Version: 10.0.61472.0
Application Timestamp: 475e17d3
Hang Signature: f7fc
Hang Type: 0
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Hang Signature 1: f7fc88831a14516a1a53b7dc654b9c89
Additional Hang Signature 2: a500
Additional Hang Signature 3: a500f613cd82315a1a89ca2a82b07dda
Additional Hang Signature 4: f7fc
Additional Hang Signature 5: f7fc88831a14516a1a53b7dc654b9c89
Additional Hang Signature 6: a500
Additional Hang Signature 7: a500f613cd82315a1a89ca2a82b07dda

Any assistance to fix it would be appreciated. I am unable to use FSX now!!! I tried to fix it by using FSX CDs's automatic repair function but it did not fix the problem.  

I need my FSX back badly or otherwise I will miss many Vatsim events!

Regards,

Aharon

Hi Mopperle,

I did not make any changes to my FSX setup.  It just happened last night for first time.

Regards,

Aharon

Okay okay latest news  I deleted logbook files from FSX, used FSX's CDs' automatic repair to see if they can be fixed, and then I deleted FSX.cfg while saving my FSX settings which resulted into FSX creating new fsx.cfg. Then I put back my own settings into FSX. I managed to a successful completed testing flight on FSX using Vatsim. The C.P.U. has returned to normal range of 15 percent BUT WHAT TROUBLES ME is that it averages too high 1,250,000k in memory private setting compared to my FSX's normal average between 300,000k and 500,000k in memory private setting before the problem started. Wondering why???  Anybody can help me figure out how to get back to normal average of memory private setting???

Please login to display this image.

• Deputy Sheriffs

The size just reflects the amount of loaded scenery. If you are under 32bit Windows this can be max. 3GB. If you are under 64bit Windows and have the HIGHMEMFIX added to your FSX.CFG this can go up to 4GB. So your 1.2GB are really nothing to worry about.

If you have a look on this number from the beginning to the end of your flight you will see, that the number changes. If it is getting close to 3GB resp. 4GB you will run into OOMs (out of memory errors). A good read about memory management of FSX can be found here:

Tom, thank you for letting me know that it is nothing to worry about BUT I wonder why after many years of averaging 300k to 500k per flight, FSX suddenly jumps to one million and half of K right now if I did not do anything to change or add to FSX?????

And nice to meet you.

Regards,

Aharon

• Deputy Sheriffs

As Mathijs said, this error is very generic and not necessarily caused by FSX itself, but other parts of your FSX/PC setup: hardware, drivers, any updates, any other software.

So resolving this issue is just think about what your have done/changed on your PC (not only FSX) and maybe pure trial and error.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi Aharon,

nice to meet you too ;)

Mathijs and Otto are totally right, computers are quite complex and even if things are not related through your eyes, they might related under the hood. 

You said, you had those 1.2GB after finishing a flight. With what aircraft did you do that flight and what add-on scenery have been involved into it?

Mopperle,   I did not make any changes to my laptop.

5 hours ago, Tom A320 said:

You said, you had those 1.2GB after finishing a flight. With what aircraft did you do that flight and what add-on scenery have been involved into it?

I actually said FSX right now averages 1.2 GB during flight, not after flight. In the last flight, I used freeware Vistaliners Boeing 727-200F and I was using FSX default scenery or terrain in Yukon area of northern Canada set in summer weather.

WHAT TROUBLES ME is that it now averages too high 1,250,000k in memory private setting compared to my FSX's normal average between 300,000k and 500,000k in memory private setting for thousands of flights for past many years years before the problem started last Saturday. Wondering why??? What causes this?

Aharon,

Reading memory as you are doing is deceptive. Instead of memory, you should be looking at the vanilla Virtual Address Spacing (VAS).  You can use FSUIPC to monitor this, or you can use a freeware VAS monitor (Google is your friend for that as there are several available, but I recommend a program called "VAS Monitor").  The VAS value is the only thing you should use when comparing the amount of memory utilized by FSX.  There is a very good article on AVSIM on VAS (again, Google will find it for you). 

There are other things which come into play when looking at the amount of memory (VAS) used by FSX such as video card mirroring, bufferpools, VAS fragmentation, etc. I believe the VAS post (article) on AVSIM

My very best wishes!

• Deputy Sheriffs

Aharon,

what is your VAS value directly after starting FSX, without loading any add-on aircraft? 

You should monitor the VAS value over the time. At what moment does the VAS usage increase to the 1.2GB?

With a hand full of add-on scenery activated and starting with the AS Airbus my P3Dv3 consumes 1.6GB on startup. For me this is actually nothing I worry about.

Davect2003 and Tom,

I do not know what is VAS so  I am going to study and learn about VAS now to answer both of your questions on how much VAS value is.  Please permit me time to learn what VAS is and to study VAS.  It is first time I have ever heard about VAS!!!

Thanks for letting me know about importance of VAS.

Thanks,

Aharon

• Deputy Sheriffs

Aharon,

just read the link I have given in my first post here (#6). It explains pretty much everything ;) 

Tom,

Yes I read the link in the post number six which is useful BUT I never knew there is software that can monitor VAS indication!  LOL

Got to study VAS!

Regards,

Aharon

FSX is a Very Unstable Flight Sim because of Poor Coding and that its a 32bit sim instead of modern 64bit, 32 bit being it only uses up to 2gb of allocated VAS (Virtual Access Space) However it can go up to 4gb but for some reason FSX only uses 2gb which causes major problems so there is a program that makes fsx use all 4gb of VAS its called 4gb patch i have used it and it works. 

• Deputy Sheriffs
2 minutes ago, bolt3r said:

i have issues with fsx se on win10 like ntdll.dll errors d3d9.dll errors i cant use vpilot with out my sim crashing because of the ntdll.dll i am just having a wonderful time Microsoft at its finest 

Please do not hijack a topic, but open your own one. Thank you.

1 minute ago, Tom A320 said:

Please do not hijack a topic, but open your own one. Thank you.

i was just stating that every one has problems with FSX not really trying to hijack a Thread 

• Deputy Sheriffs

You reported a problem with FSX:SE and crashes of the NTDLL and D3D9 dlls. This topic handles FSX and memory problems... If you just wanted to comment that you have problems with FSX and didn't wanted to ask for help, you should have said so in the first place ;) 

28 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Aharon, there is a 90% chance the issue is NOT in FSX but in your OS. You're not looking in the right place.

I hope not I hope not  I hope not   God help me!!!  OS is doing fine for me and everything is fast in OS but I will look for something wrong in OS. Whenever I am doing in OS such as internet surfing or word processing or spreadsheeting, or photoshopping,  the CPU shows healthy 5 percent and physical memory shows 14 percent.  But I will look for what is wrong in BOTH fsx and OS.

I sure HOPE there is nothing wrong with OS.  Now I am back too studying VAS and how to use it to get answers for Tom and DaveCT2003 who asked me questions.

6 hours ago, Tom A320 said:

Aharon,

what is your VAS value directly after starting FSX, without loading any add-on aircraft?  You should monitor the VAS value over the time. At what moment does the VAS usage increase to the 1.2GB?

To Tom,

Here is answer to your question and to DaveCTC2003's question

At first, when I started FSX and looked at FSX main screen with some FSX default glider with propeller plane spinning around,  it is normal 9 percent C.P.U. and 500,000K in private memory stuff but when I picked freeware add on plane such as POSKY or so on and goes to FSX default airport scenery,  it jumped to 14 percent C.P.U. and 1,300,000K in private memory stuff.

So to answer your another question on VAS usage, I in next step installed VAS monitor and then started that software and started FSX which showed different results.  Here are screenshots of VAS (I do not understand readings of VAS anyway)

FIRST SCREENSHOT OF VAS MONITOR WHEN IT IS ON FSX MAIN SCREEN

SECOND SCREENSHOT OF VAS MONITOR WHEN GOING TO FSX DEFAULT SCENERY WITH FSX DEFAULT PROPELLER GLIDER PLANE

THIRD SCREENSHOT OF VAS MONITOR SHOWING SAME PLANE AND SAME SCENERY FEW MINUTES LATER

FOURTH SCREENSHOT OF VAS MONITOR SHOWING WHEN SAME PLANE AND SAME SCENERY ARE LOGGED INTO VATSIM WITH SQWKBOX 4.0

I apologize to all of you if I do not understand VAS stuff. I want to know why VAS put FSX under Explorer folder when my laptop shows FSX under its own folder???? And I apologize to all of you if I keep asking questions because I want to know why FSX's average jumps from 500k before 5.13.16 to 1,300,000k of private memory after that date.

Regards,

Aharon

• Deputy Sheriffs

FSX isn't a hero when it comes to memory management. It really is an old software, being made at times, where 4 GB looked like never ever being reached with all the stuff you install and use. Something like Bill Gates' statement many many years ago "640KB should be enough for everyone". 

You start obviously with 630MB. After that every single step you do will increase the memory usage. From time to time FSX also releases some memory that isn'T used anymore. But that is not predictable and doesn't happen too often.

I would strongly suggest you switch over to Prepar3D v3. It comes with a sort of mind blowing memory management. Lockheed Martin really have highly skilled programmers working on it, getting the most out of a 32bit software for nowadays needs and expectations.

Archived