Aspen flaws?

Psycho762

Hi,

First the installer messed up scenery.cfg (changed the existing order at random). Reinstalled a backup.  I installed the scenery manually. Elevation problem. Consulted the forum and changed extended altitude to low order in the scenery.cfg. All seemed okay. Not. Crashes to hidden objects when making a turn to the runway on A3 en A4. Notice the windsockets. They have two sacks.

An update installer needed?

Regards,

Ton Meijers (EHAM)

• Aerosoft

Currently there is no update because we don't know of anything to fix. 

The installer that handles the scenery,cfg is the same as we used in hundreds of thousands of sold copies so we are pretty sure it's okay. I can only assume that part of that file was locked when the installer tried to edit it, or it could be there were some inconsistencies that are unexpected. As you did a manual install it is to be expected the scenery order is not as it should be and mesh issues will problematic for sure. This can also cause crashes into hidden objects. 

I would simply remove the files you inserted manually and run the installer again. This is a product that sells well and if the installer would fail it would fail for all the thousands of customers, right?

1) do a disk check (right click on the drive, select properties, select tools, select check now)
2) reboot your computer
3) log in with administrative rights
4) disable the anti-virus software temporary
5) install the product
6) enable the anti-virus software
7) defragment your disk (NOT if you are using a SSD or if you use windows 10)

For the windsock check if there are two windsock files active (page 3 of the manual)

Thanks,

Did exactly what yout told me Matthijs, but with the same messy results (complete 'overhaul;  order scenery.cfg and crashes hidden objects on all intersections to the runway.

Noticed the installer shows the line operating system 6.1 using windows 7 shortcuts (using W7).

Concerning the windsockets, I do use DX9 (so no need to change the BGL's) but still seeing 2 sacks on the windsocket.

Uninstalled Aspen awaiting an update...

Regards,

Ton EHAM

• Developer

Hi Ton,

Is the double windsock visible on all or just one windsock? Check you only have either "Aspen_Windsocks_DX9.bgl" OR "Aspen_Windsocks_DX10.bgl" in your Aspen Extended/Scenery folder; if you have both this might  be the problem.

As regards the crashing, could you please send a screenshot with the exact place where the crash happens on A3/A4? I've obviously never experience this but will see if there is something hidden that is causing it.

Best,

Mat

Hi Mat,

Double windsock visible on all windsocks. Aspen_Windsocks_DX10.bgl is commented out Aspen_Windsocks_DX10.BGL.DX10. Using FSX DX9. Commenting out Aspen_Windsock_lib_dx10.BGL had no effect.

Crashes upon entering runway on most intersections. Not A5 en NOT A6 to the right. When i go on A6 to the left: crash. Riding terrain between taxiway and runway crash after A5.

See the pictures.

Had to reinstall old scenery.cfg after installation and insert Aspen manually because of changed order. Put Aspen Extended altitude scenery on 287 (1 before last) and Aspend extended on 1.

As far as i know i don't have ORBIX Mesh.

Regards Ton EHAM

Please login to display this image.

• Developer

Thanks Ton, will check this out in detail later. Any other 3rd party scenery? Also, can anyone else replicate these crashes? I can't...

Mat

3 hours ago, matted said:

(...) Also, can anyone else replicate these crashes? I can't...

Mat

Can confirm the double windsock and the crashes, but not the scenery.cfg being muddled up by the installer. This is with FSX-MS AccPack. EDIT: DX9. ORBX Global freeware airports are installed, but nothing related to KASE is active there.

• Developer

Thanks - have isolated the crash issue. Fix will be in 1.1.

Still working on windsock - possible to do with FSX Acceleration (I can't replicate it on SP2). If you have a moment and could check if the 'double' windsocks appear at high and no winds that would be useful.

Mat

20 minutes ago, matted said:

(...) could check if the 'double' windsocks appear at high and no winds that would be useful.

Mat

Yep. No winds was posted above and double windsocks also with higher winds (AccPack):

• Developer

Thanks, that helps narrow it down a bit.

Anyone not using FSX accelaration seeing this?

Mat

Hi Mat and Olli,

Nice to see work in progress. Thought i was the only one.

Yes i use FSX accelaration as well (since 2006). System is as stable as FSX can be.

I can live with the windsocks but not with the crashes upon entering the runway. How did you solve this?

Olli thanks for the support.

Ton EHAM

• Developer

Easy mistake to fix - I forgot to remove the crashboxes from the runway edge lights (some of which are embedded in the tarmac where the taxiways enter the runway).

Will have to experiment a bit more with the windsocks... Thanks again for the heads up.

Mat

ni

vor 24 Minuten, matted sagte:

Easy mistake to fix - I forgot to remove the crashboxes from the runway edge lights (some of which are embedded in the tarmac where the taxiways enter the runway).

Will have to experiment a bit more with the windsocks... Thanks again for the heads up.

Mat

nice and open communication - interesting to hear what was the culprit :goodluck_s:

I'm happy to help.

Must say, before you reported it, Ton, I hadn't even noticed the double windsocks (they don't even seem to appear with SP2 at all).

Crashboxes can't bother me either, because crash detection in FSX isn't very realistic and I turned off that feature a long time ago.

My main concern with this addon is the performance which needs some optimization, but that was acknowledged and is being adressed by Mat anyway.

Have to say that the detail and the texture quality of this scenery is high-end and I am happy to see my old Aspen "leap-frogging" into this Extended version. I even received a 5 Euro discount upon purchase!

Thanks for your dedicated work, Mat, and for your after-sales support.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the crashing issue as well when entering and exiting the runway. Maybe I missed it but how was this solved?

• Developer

Hi Otto, unless I'm missing it, this looks like only the update for AspenX? But Aspen Extended 1.1 should be there very soon!

Mat

• Deputy Sheriffs
26 minutes ago, matted said:

Hi Otto, unless I'm missing it, this looks like only the update for AspenX? But Aspen Extended 1.1 should be there very soon!

Mat

Ups, sorry, you are right, was not aware of the old one. :rolleyes:

8 hours ago, GeneR said:

I am having the crashing issue as well when entering and exiting the runway. Maybe I missed it but how was this solved?

For the time being, disable the crash detection in your sim options. (Aircraft realism options)

Archived