Recommendation for long-haul aircraft addon

B748_Fan

Hey guys,

recently I made a "long-haul" flight with the Aerosoft A321 (With 2 stopovers of course) from EDDT to KJFK and back to EDDT, which was nice but I decided to get the right plane for such trips :-)
(Okay I could use one aircraft from my Halycon Airbus Familiy addon, which I've bought many years ago but....... Well even the default aircrafts from MS are better in my opinion ;-) )

But now there is the big question "Which one to buy?"

I would love to buy 2 aircrafts in the next time, one big modern Jet for long-haul flights and an older one with 3 engines...
So I'm considering the MD-11X or L-1011 and either the PMDG 777 or maybe waiting for the Aerosoft A330.

I really love the A321, because nearly everything in the cockpit is fully functional and all textures are looking very detailed at good FPS. So my 2 new purchases should meet those criterias. 
I made a small list with pro and contra, but I only saw videos and pictures of those addons. Maybe someone already had his hands on some of those addons and can recommend one of them or have some further pro/contra, which makes the decision easier for me :)

MD-11-x
+ The outside view looks very nice
+ still operating
+ failure-model included
- addon released in 2012?!
- Most screenshots were from the 2D panel so I guess the 3D panel isn't that good

L-1011
+ detailed 3D panel and engineers panel (2K textures)
+ "oldschool" without modern FMC and co. so this would be a good challenge and experience
+ many animated and functionally switches
- nearly 3000km less range

PMDG 777-200/300
+ very very detailed
+ really amazing outside model
+ those gigantic engines :lol:
- price!!!
- to get the bigger -300, another addon would be necessary
? Is there a "co pilot" who does the checklists with you, like in the A32X?

Aerosoft A330
+ the pictures from the cockpit are looking already very good and detailed
+ the cockpit and the functions should be very familiar, when using a A32X before
+ There could maybe be some new features, that the 777 addon doesn't have
+ Lufthansa and Air Berlin (My usually used airlines) are using them
+ Price will surely be lower than the 777 (See Mathijs comment in the preview thread)
- - The release date is unfortunately still unknown (And I completly understand that, and I'm fine with it!) So it could be a long time to wait until the release, but also I think it could be worth it :D

I know, all of those aircraft are well modelled in their way and if I would have McDuck's safe, I would buy them all, but unfortunately that's too expensive for me :-)

With the MD-11 I assume you mean the PMDG MD-11. It may be a few years old, but still one hell of an add-on. Better than some others that are released today. 3D panel is also quite good.

With the L-1011 I assume you mean the Captain Sim L-1011. Also a very nice aircraft.

Then there are a few other options worth mentioning. I'll list them for you:

- Captain Sim 757 / QualityWings 757

- Captain Sim 767

- Captain Sim 777 (as an alternative for the mentioned PMDG 777)

- SimCheck Airbus A300 B4-200

- PMDG 747 (either the old one or wait for the new one that's in development)

- QualityWings 787 (in development, will be one hell of a product once it's released)

And last but not least, if you like old school aircraft you should definately think of the Captain Sim 707. Try flying that across the ocean.

For now I would recommend the PMDG T7 ( I know it is expensive). PMDG has stopped the support for MD-11 and they have taken it out from their store. Hope it helps.

Sorry Patrick I forgot to name the publisher :lol:

Yes I meant the PMDG MD-11 but I meant the L-1011 from Just flight ( http://www.shop.aerosoft.com/eshop.php?action=article_detail&s_supplier_aid=12732&s_design=DEFAULT&shopfilter_category=Flight%20Simulation&s_language=german

Both are looking really nice and detailled, thats why I'm unsure.

(I know PMDG has the MD-11 no longer in their store but there still are some available at Aerosoft or Amazon)

To be honest I only have checked the products here at Aerosoft, because I don't have any experience with other developers, and I like their support. But thank you for listing other options for a modern long-haul-aircraft :)

I checked Captain Sim's website.... the addons are a bit cheaper, but do they have the same quality like the Aerosoft A321 ? For example I have an old Airbus family addon, which is really dissapointing, so I'm a bit cautious with new addons.

But the 787 would be another one on my list....

When I heard, that there will be a new 747 addon from PMDG, I decided to wait for it instead spending money in the old one. But first I want to get two of the above mentioned ones.

I'd prefer the Captain Sim L-1011 over the JustFlight L-1011 any time since Captain Sim just offers better quality. If you include JustFlight you can also mention their DC-10 and 747-200/300, but they're by far not the same quality as Aerosoft or PMDG. In fact they're hardly better than Abacus. Captain Sim isn't PMDG either, but still a whole lot better than JustFlight. For just home simming Captain Sim is quite professional, it takes a real life pilot to spot the imperfections.

Okay thank you Patrick! With this helpful information I would EXCLUDE JustFlight ;) I also had a look at some Youtube videos with Captain Sim aircrafts....The 777 and L-1011 are looking indeed very detailed. 

Well I think I will buy the CS L-1011 and when I'm fine with the quality, I'll go for the CS 777 with expansion packs. In this I would pay less for both CS addons, than for the PMDG 777 with the -300 expansion..... That means there is some money left for airports :D

Therefore I should have some good new aircrafts, which makes it easier to wait, until the Aerosoft A330 is released.

B748_Fan, Captain Sim regularly runs $10 sales on all of their products.  If you aren't in a hurry, keep a regular eye on their website.  You might get quite the bargain.

BTW, I have both Captain Sim 777 and 767.  Both products are very good.  Excellent values even when not on the $10 sale.  Best part of them, just like Aerosoft's Airbus series, is that the weather radar works with any live weather engine.    

The PMDG 777 is the best quality of all the mentioned products. It is very expensive, but a dream to fly! If you need a copilot to help you out, might I suggest FS2crew, which adds a copilot. For your information, FS2crew uses actual airline SOPS. I would stay away from the CS 777, the PMDG is more expensive, but the CS is a worse value unless you get it at the 10$ sale.

PMDG's MD11X is one of the best simulations of a real aircraft for home PC out there. Virtual cockpit textures are not at today's high resolution, but it is still acceptable. The bird has a special "atmosphere" which is nicely reflected in the addon - I know this because I have flown with the real one (both cockpit flight and simulator).

PMDG's 777 would be my next vote for long-haul.

Thank you for all those helpful hints!

Well because I would buy CS addons at the Flightsimstore, I'm not getting the 10$ sale anyway. :lol:

I know, you always "get what you pay for" and that the PMDG 777 would be the better choice, but at this point I'm not sure if I want to spend so much money on this bird.

Especially when there will be a new A330 and a 747 addon in the next time.....

But FS2crew was also a useful hint, thank you:)

2 hours ago, B748_Fan said:

Thank you for all those helpful hints!

Well because I would buy CS addons at the Flightsimstore, I'm not getting the 10$ sale anyway. :lol:

I know, you always "get what you pay for" and that the PMDG 777 would be the better choice, but at this point I'm not sure if I want to spend so much money on this bird.

Especially when there will be a new A330 and a 747 addon in the next time.....

But FS2crew was also a useful hint, thank you:)

Don't forget the 787 from Qualitywings which I think will be released this year as well.

The MD-11 doesn't have support from PMDG anymore, if you have a problem with it, it might be tricky. Not that it's a bad addon, I really like it and even though I never had it, judging from recent videos of it on YouTube I think it aged well and still in my personal top 10.

PMDG 777 needs no introduction. But price is a big factor here. If your PC specs meet the requirements well and you are willing to spend $89 plus $29 if you want the 300 (FSX only price, P3D higher and you can't use 1 version on another sim) then go get it. Again with the MD-11 I never had it but the systems are the best of the best available for commercial flight simulation. Addons to this include FSFX 777 immersion for enhancing visual effects of the aircraft and FS2Crew.

Aerosoft A330 is one addon I'm looking forward to. Having enjoyed the A320 I have no hesitation in getting the A330. All you need to know about this is in the A330 previews thread here in the previews forum.

I also want to add:

Captain Sim 777, viable alternative to the PMDG 777. Similar functionality but less fluid than the PMDG 777 but it gets the job done well. I have this one and all the expansions. Includes all 777 variants. VC might be a bit lacking compared to PMDG and PMDG still has better systems but if you can get it on Captain Sim's $10 sale you can get all variants for a good price. A few minor bugs like the FD activating for both PF and PNF screens but only the PF switch is turned on. 

QW787, look at all the available quarterly updates on their forums and you can see that this is going to be a good one when it comes out.

PMDG 747v2, well I guess anything from PMDG needs no introduction.

Basically my post might add to the OP's confusion as what I'm saying is I recommend all of them :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

As a lover of classics, I'd like to give some advice too.

Personally, I bought the 772 from PMDG, but hardly ever flew it. It is a magnificent addon for sure, but for me, just too boring to fly longhaul. Basically you can takeoff, leave the PC and come back to land that thing. That's not really what I like.

The CS L1011 is a -1, and thus has rather limited range compared to the -500, which was a real longhauler. So you would nearly always go for fuel stop somewhere when you cross the pond. Personally I like that though, and LTU operated them this way back then.

The CS707 is another good addon to consider. With the TSS soundpack and some community mods it is really great to fly, and you always have to fiddle around with something.

Keep in mind both planes should be flown with INS and radio navigation, so make sure you get to grips with that first. Learning curve is step when you come from FMC equipped magenta plastic jets, but it is rewarding!

Another interesting alternative is the FSLabs Concorde. Everything works as in real life, PMDG level. However it is rather VAS hungry. Learning curve is even steeper.. The best way to learn it is to use the ITVV double DVD and to follow the real procedures step by step. Besides the heavy VAS usage, you will be highly satisfied.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Well I will definetly go with the CS L1011, it looks very detailed and because of its old systems it will be a new challange.

It hasn't such a range as 777 or A330, but more than a A321, so I don't have to do so many fuel stops while crossing the Atlantic :)

I fully agree that flying longhaul is quiet boring, but due to my preferences for big aircrafts either I use time accelaration or use longhaul airplanes for shorter distances, because a flight around 10 hours is not an option for me.

In case you stick with the TriStar, you should consider to add a tripple INS setup instead of the one unit provided, using the CIVA INS. If you need help, just PM me.

And I can also recommend the TSS soundpack for the 1011, the standard sounds are not the best.

Thank you Matze for your advices, I checked out the TSS soundpack and it sounds very nice.

Of course I have no experiences with the real sound of the 1011 but I hear the differences between the TSS and the CS soundset...

Furthermore I will do my best regarding the INS setup... If I reach an impasse, I'll PM you, thanks for this offer :D

Archived