How to install F-16 in P3D

Sting

I just purchased P3D and want to install F-16 Fighting Falcon. When I try it asks for the pathway to FSX. Can anyone help me with this?

• Deputy Sheriffs

This addon is not compatible with P3D. It might work when you use one the migration tools (search web for tools like EMT) helping you to install FSX addons under P3D. But no guarantee given.

• 2 weeks later...

Have seen several people installing (not sure if with tool or just copying) into P3D.  would be interesting to know if it's in Aerosoft's plans to make a proper installer like they did for example with the great F-14.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I grabbed the F-16 this weekend in the [charity] sale, thinking that if I can't get it to work in P3Dv3, then at least a charity benefitted (!!).

I was pleasantly surprised to find that it installed into my standard P3Dv3 with no issues at all. No migration malarkey - or manual copying of files. I just pointed the installer at P3Dv3 root. I do have a dummy FSX.exe in there, but I'm not sure whether the installer looks for it.

All the avionics appear to work, MFD's HUD etc. It's a stunningly beautiful aircraft and I think A/S did a great job with it way back in 2009. To find that it works in 2016 for a totally different sim is a real bonus.

The only problem I felt I had to address (which I gather may have been present in the original release) is the semi-opaque canopy. I fixed this with a bit of darkening in the diffuse texture alpha and modifying the model to make that texture accept alpha transparency (and take global/dynamic reflections while I was at it). With so many models and corresponding textures, it'd be quite a daunting task to work through the lot, so I just re-worked a couple of favourites. For P3D at least, just editing the alpha in the diffuse texture won't do much: it really needs the model edit as well. I can't share any of the tweaked models (for copyright reasons) but it's great to have good canopies in my P3D.

So ... I'm delighted to be able to bring my beloved F-16 (from Falcon4 and LOMAC days) to the P3D platform. Obviously you don't have the full combat experience, but it sure does look great! Many thanks, Aerosoft!

Adam.

Not sure how/why this Falcon ended up in Auckland, but I'm not complaining!

Please login to display this image.

Over the Tatry, Poland:

• 1 month later...

I tried the direct install by putting a copy of my FSX.exe in the root folder, but only three variants appeared in the GUI (as at P3D v3.4.9.18400). 

Installing directly into Steam and copying the aircraft container folders over had the same result.

Turns out that the installer detects the FSX version but didn't recognise Steam Edition. The FSX version is neither SP2 nor Acceleration, so it didn't install the appropriate panel.cfg in one of the 2 panel folders that many of the aircraft panels are aliased to.

P3D must interpret that as NO panel, and therefore treats those aircraft as AI.

Solution: navigate to .../Aerosoft F-16A 9/Panel. I discovered there was a Panel.cfg.SP2 and a Panel.cfg.Xpack but no Panel.cfg. I created a copy inside the same folder of Panel.cfg.Xpack and renamed it Panel.cfg. Now all the aircraft variations show up in the GUI. It flies very nicely in Prepar3d too...

I agree with Adamski_NZ (a fellow kiwi?) - this is a beautiful looking airplane. I've had this one for a few years now and keep going back to it.

• 1 year later...

What version of P3Dv3 are you guys running?

I have 3.4.22.19868 and the plane (F-16 & liveries) is installed and running but notice the landing light (exterior) does not cast light onto the ground. Anything I should check?

• 1 month later...
On 1/11/2016 at 7:57 PM, X24 said:

I tried the direct install by putting a copy of my FSX.exe in the root folder, but only three variants appeared in the GUI (as at P3D v3.4.9.18400). 

Installing directly into Steam and copying the aircraft container folders over had the same result.

Turns out that the installer detects the FSX version but didn't recognise Steam Edition. The FSX version is neither SP2 nor Acceleration, so it didn't install the appropriate panel.cfg in one of the 2 panel folders that many of the aircraft panels are aliased to.

P3D must interpret that as NO panel, and therefore treats those aircraft as AI.

Solution: navigate to .../Aerosoft F-16A 9/Panel. I discovered there was a Panel.cfg.SP2 and a Panel.cfg.Xpack but no Panel.cfg. I created a copy inside the same folder of Panel.cfg.Xpack and renamed it Panel.cfg. Now all the aircraft variations show up in the GUI. It flies very nicely in Prepar3d too...

I agree with Adamski_NZ (a fellow kiwi?) - this is a beautiful looking airplane. I've had this one for a few years now and keep going back to it.

thks 4 your help!!! it s works

Archived