Sacramento performance

Blinx

I'm also running into significant stutters at this airport ... I'll start the process of BGL disabling and try to pin point the cause.  I'm using Orbx FTX Global and not NorCal.

My first step was to reduce graphics settings, when that didn't work then it's highly likely some BGL that P3D V3.2 doesn't like.

Using the airport's config tool to disable all options does help "a little", but there are still significant long frames.  If I find an offending BGL, I'll report back ... but this "type of stutter (long frame)" is very similar to the issue I had with Torp Sanderfjord and IDS's MYNN ... the culprit there was a tiny file (related to lights as I recall) ... hoping this is something similar.

Cheers, Rob.

On 3/30/2016 at 10:43 AM, Rob Ainscough said:

I'm also running into significant stutters at this airport ... I'll start the process of BGL disabling and try to pin point the cause.  I'm using Orbx FTX Global and not NorCal.

My first step was to reduce graphics settings, when that didn't work then it's highly likely some BGL that P3D V3.2 doesn't like.

Using the airport's config tool to disable all options does help "a little", but there are still significant long frames.  If I find an offending BGL, I'll report back ... but this "type of stutter (long frame)" is very similar to the issue I had with Torp Sanderfjord and IDS's MYNN ... the culprit there was a tiny file (related to lights as I recall) ... hoping this is something similar.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob - that's a good way to put it, "Long frames". For me, it's high frames as I'm used to with my setup, and then a series of "long frame" stutters, and then it's okay again for a series, and then back to the long frames. It's very cyclical and evenly spaced, which feels like there's indeed something P3D 3.2 is choking on. Hopefully you'll be able to isolate something! For a further reference/datapoint, I'm also only using FTX Global and not NorCal.

11 hours ago, nyuni said:

Rob - that's a good way to put it, "Long frames".

Long frames are essential duration between frames that is much longer than "normal"  Support a typical time between frame render is 16 to 33 ms, a long frame will be 60-180 ms, a VERY long frame will be >200ms, standard "long frames" (60-180ms) can anything from just overloading the CPU/GPU to complex objects and the shadows they create, but >200ms is usually indicative of a render problem, the render ending is working much hard on a task that it should be.

I was able to make a little progress with KSMF by disabling all items except grass.  I'm still getting some major very long frames at the South end near the freeway on/off loop ... I also found some partially invisible trees near an overhead ramp.  I'm uploading a video tonight.

Cheers, Rob.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/26/2016 at 11:44 AM, mopperle said:

How much is huge?

It is not huge at all. I made some comparison:
P3Dv3.0 with FS Global ULimate, FTX Global, FTX Vector and FTX Northern California and the Airbus A319, no weather, AS KSMF with deafult settings in the Configurator

This is what I get with FTX Global (NCA inactive), the def. airport and the Airbus:

Please login to display this image.

VAS left 1.8 GB

This is what I get with FTX Global and NCA active, the def. airport and the Airbus:

VAS left 1.4GB, so 400MB eaten up only by NCA ;)

This is what I get with FTX Global (NCA inactive), AS KSMF and the Airbus:

VAS left 1.4GB, so compared to the def. KSMF needs around 400MB

This is what I get with FTX Global and NCA active, AS KSMF and the Airbus:

VAS left 1GB. so KSMF still needs only around 400MB

And that's not "huge". ;)

But as I said above a combination of highly demanding addons (scenery and aircraft) in such a dense area, adding weather with high res cloud textures, high settings in the sim etc. this is simply too much for FSX and P3D, although P3Dv3 behaves slightly better in handling VAS.

So dont blame a single scenery.

True, but here's the thing your test are rendered on the runway apron far from the airport.  Try it again at a gate and watch your VAS react.  The airport is heavy...also consider there is not much autogen outside of this area So I would have to agree that the Developer should look at some form of optimization.  Beautiful airport but heavy on VAS.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/29/2016 at 2:05 PM, data63 said:

well... maybe that's exactly the way memory management in V3.2 works - the display engine loads a scenery, calculates what is to be seen an what not and THEN discards unseeable parts.

that was one of the great problems in FSX and earlier P3D versions as the display engines didn't "realize" that something wasn't visible any more and held it in the memory

True, but the spike is significant.  For example with everything on; FTX Global hybrid,FTXSCAL, VECTOR, Orbx small airports nearby (KMRY etc)  and KSMF in the NGX starting 20 miles out VAS remaining is 1.2GB.  as I approach KSMF (10 mile mark) it drops to 650mb and then again down to 376mb spike down again to 278mb for 30 seconds and then returns back up to 758mb remaining.  If I do the same in the default KSMF and everything else on I get no spikes.  and a hefty 1.1GB on arrival.  Additionally, I don't see these spikes at any other airport in the area including KSFO HD and KSTS on. 

Yes P3dv3.2 manages memory well but something is awry here I'm certain of it.

Test 2 to my previous post.

I decided to deactive the appron clutter, rebooted P3dv3.2 in the NGX and could not even come out of the black screen before OoM.  I deactived IDS /AS KSMF turn on Orbx KSMF rebooted P3dv3.2 in the NGX and have 1.2 GB remaining at the gate in the VC.  Can I say memory leak? or just heavy textures. (LOD set at 5.5 always/ TML 2048 x 2048 always). This was worst than being at LHR mega airport with hybrid EU. I Would say that our findings here most certainly merit a reevaluation of the scenery.

Respectfully

Same issue FSX. When I am lucky I will get the OOM sound but the SIM will still run with a few scenery anomalies but able to taxi to gate and shut down. I don't dare call up GSX. Also running ORBX NCA and global. Tried it with ASN off but to no avail. I can fly the PMDG out of Flightbeam KSFO to Taxi to the gate KSEA and not have the OOM issue. Now that is a complex airport times two. That includes ORBX PNW along with ASN.

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone at Aerosoft confirm if an update to Sacramento has been supplied by the developer - I.D.S.

They said on their Facebook page last weekend they had supplied an update to you. I'm curious how much this has improved performance. I don't have Sacramento but I do have NassauX also by I.D.S and they said they would be working on that as soon as the Sacramento update was finished.

Given NassauX was released late last year with unacceptably high VAS usage I'm eagerly waiting for this update as flights into it are severely affected.

Can anyone at Aerosoft confirm if I.D.S have supplied an update for Sacramento please? They say they have but you aren't responding so I'm trying to work out what the reality is.

No update in my simmarket notice box.  Don't know what's happening but I pray the developer is busy at it.  Shucks we got an update to Prague almost instantaneously.  Sure hope that I.D.S does the same....its been too long and no word..

For me Zoxo465 frames have not been an issue....my issue stands with a potential memory leak....In fact I think I just witnessed a spike at Oakland Airport...and that's new....never had that before.  Similarly, I've been flying out of LHR over the channel to Europe and I get a massive VAS drop in any AC.  I didn't have this effect before as well.  Not sure I can claim 100% that its KSMF but I will say this...in P3DV3.2 I could fly from KIAD to EDDF and have 700MB left...now after KSMF I have to save and reload Prepar3d. just saying. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2016 at 11:22 AM, Ray Proudfoot said:

Can anyone at Aerosoft confirm if I.D.S have supplied an update for Sacramento please? They say they have but you aren't responding so I'm trying to work out what the reality is.

It has now been over two weeks since the patch for KSMF was mentioned (I know not confirmed).  This was before the patch that was released for MYNN.

Will Aerosoft or the developer please update us on the status of any patch for Sacramento>?

Thank you.

Joe L.

I bought my version at Simmarket and got an email this morning that version 1.01 is now available. Texture optimization is what it says for this new version (complete replacement)

• 6 months later...

There are some very serious memory leaks in this scenery.  It kills frame rates once you are in it in P3D v3.4.   I mean drastic! Tried everything already mentioned here.  It really needs to be looked at, or it is not a feasible product for anyone with Prepar3d. It truly isn't compatible with Prepar3d with that much of a drop in frames.  

On 1/12/2017 at 2:59 AM, marknie said:

There are some very serious memory leaks in this scenery.  It kills frame rates once you are in it in P3D v3.4.   I mean drastic! Tried everything already mentioned here.  It really needs to be looked at, or it is not a feasible product for anyone with Prepar3d. It truly isn't compatible with Prepar3d with that much of a drop in frames.  

I solved the performance issues with it.....By uninstalling it. Won't ever buy another IDS made product. I see by the feedback their Manchester is having same issues....

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

VAS crashes every time when I get there......  After tweaking orbx ncal (removed some features) I managed to land but then boom.. out of memory once I stopped at the end of the runway. That's the farthest ive made it on that airport.

2048 tex load (no, not going to 1024, ever. don't even bring it up if yours runs "fine" on 1024. this isn't 2002 anymore)

5.5 lod

no airport clutter

no static vehicles

yes on 3d grass

no ai traffic installed in my sim.

I get 800mb left 20 miles out down to 200 5 miles and once on the airport.. boom. 0. bye bye

if I load same plane at the airport as the start flight, I get 500mb left to play with.

what a shame.

so basically all the posts that have no problems with this airport are full of it or have never flown INTO said airport. this is actually normal since fsx/p3d always leave some out of range scenery and what not loaded from along your route. so testing at the actual airport as the start flight is pointless and does a disservice. you need to test into any airport after 4-5 hour flight to see what it actually does.

frame rates are perfectly fine. its unusable due to eating memory like no tomorrow. this and Nassau are 2 sceneries that should have never made it past beta. .but here they are... being sold to the masses.

vor 2 Stunden , johnadmans sagte:

frame rates are perfectly fine. its unusable due to eating memory like no tomorrow. this and Nassau are 2 sceneries that should have never made it past beta. .but here they are... being sold to the masses.

Fully agree. After flyinig for long enough in the area and finally landing at Sacramento you will inavoidably run into an OOM. That's pretty much the ONLY airport where I experience this, and I own a huge number of airports, including all ORBX and beasts like FT Toronto. And this is in a Carenado C182 with 1024 textures!

There must be a memory leak for sure. Personally I've given up on it and declared it a devil's area.

Kind regards, Michael

Thanks Mathijs, would be really nice to get this repaired, even more as the airport as such is rendered nicely.

Kind regards, Michael

On 3/30/2016 at 10:43 AM, Rob Ainscough said:

Cheers, Rob.

Rob, so does MYNN work well for you now?  I've been sitting on my hands since it came out, waiting for a fix to that airport. 

4 minutes ago, seippg said:

Rob, so does MYNN work well for you now?  I've been sitting on my hands since it came out, waiting for a fix to that airport. 

I would also like to know the answer to that question. I've been waiting very patiently for I.D.S to issue an update as they promised they would. But that was months ago and they're made no further announcements.

Just to confirm, with FSX:SP2 14 miles out the VAS reduces by 1.1Gb as the airport scenery is loaded. That results in an OOM when flying Concorde (or any other complex 3rd party aircraft probably).

• 2 weeks later...

MYNN is working "ok" ... there are still some "stutter" spots.

I just wish all these scenery/airport installers would STOP CHANGING my graphics settings (without prompting), especially max textures.

Cheers, Rob.

Archived