DA Cheyenne X and Garmin GNS/GTN

scottb613

Hi Folks,

As many may know I've been an absolute fan of this bird since the day it was released... I've probably spent more time fling it than any other plane in flight simulator... Recently - I tested this plane in P3Dv3.1 and it seems to work just how it does in FSX... As I'm sure many also know the Trimble GPS has really been nothing but problems from the day it was introduced and most owners first reaction is how do I pull this thing out and put in a replacement GPS... Over the years there have been countless discussions and Hans even made some accommodations to assist with this issue... None of the changes were seamless and now with P3D - we've lost access to the RXP gauge that could be kludged into the panel and to made to work...

I guess I'm appealing to Aerosoft since I know Hans has more than he can handle with the CRJ... Maybe they could come to some type of arrangement and have a gauge programmer that could do a little work ???

The Cheyenne - even by today's standards is a fantastic plane - the modeling and flight model are far better than many birds released today... It seems to work flawlessly - as is - in P3D and is still generates interest whenever discussed followed by frustration with the Trimble...

I've attempted an install of the GTN using the switches provided by Digital Aviation in the pa31.cfg... For whatever reason the GTN will not drive the HSI - I'm assuming some custom legacy code binding it to the Trimble...

It would seem - for a minimal effort - by someone who knows how to program gauges and has access to the source files - the HSI should be able to be reworked to read input from 3rd party GPS packages... If you want to get fancy - a simple model to make the gauge 3D would be greatly appreciated as well... Allowing the Cheyenne to incorporate third party GPS units may open a door for some new sales - as a new product for it would generate interest... Some companies charge for GNS/GTN implementations and I really don't have any issue paying for something... So - please - if necessary - charge a reasonable fee for an upgrade package... If an arrangement could be made it seems like it could offer some potential for new revenue...

Anyway - LOL - end of my plea... If anyone is in agreement - please post your support so they can see the is interest...

Thanks for your consideration...

Regards,

Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 11 months later...

I am in 100 per cent agreement with scottb613. I fly it the Cheyenne in FSX and it is my favorite aircraft. I also am a big fan of Flight1 GTN...to have both working together would be excellent! I am sure that many others would also appreciate the possibility of both of these products coming together! I would also be willing to pay for a solution...The Cheyenne is a great aircraft, please help us get this project done.

Regards.

John 

Hi Hans,

Wow - thanks for responding - I really had lost hope - you made my day...

I don't want to waste your time...

I did find a setting in the GNS config to make the GTN drive the HSI... I'll have to check on my Flight Sim computer and I'll post the setting here...

We're up to P3D 3.4 now and - "IF" - you have the time and feel so inclined - here is the list of known issues (I know this is an old product and may not warrant the time - completely understand):

• As it is now - I can shoehorn the GTN 650 into the slot made by removing the Trimble with the optional switch (I don't think your switch to remove knobs works on the IIXL model)... Ideally - most people just have the GTN 750 - so true native 3D Support for the GTN 750 would be the ideal solution by removing radios and a transponder that are redundant on the GTN...
  • The MilViz/REX Weather Radar is probably the most advanced weather radar on the market - it would be nice to see a swap for the default weather radar with native 3D support as well...
  • The Recognition Lights when viewed from a distance are just massive white disks looking like plastic plates attached to the fuel tanks - when viewed close they are fine - not sure if anything can be done to fix it...
  • Finally - the night panel lights are far too bright to realistically use the plane at night (even with HDR off) - if anything could be done to lessen the brightness it would be a great improvement...

Again - thanks so much for listening - if you can make any of this happen - great - if not - I understand... I'd love to see a "refresh" of the model to a 2.0 at some point - might prove cost effective - since most of your systems and flight model are already done... It would be nice to see the VC upgraded to current standards with bit more 3D on the gauges... Whenever I post pictures - there always seems to be plenty of interest in this fine bird of yours... What the people who don't own this aircraft miss - is just how much fun this bird is to fly - whomever did the FDE did an OUTSTANDING job... 

I'll be getting your CRJ when released - I hope it does well for you...

:)

Hi John,

Thanks for bring up this old post of mine - at the very least - Hans will consider it - can't ask for more than that...

;)

P3D:

Please login to display this image.

P3D GTN:

Regards,

Scott

Hey Scott,

still on the topic as I see (re: Avsim, Dec '15) - and finally there's light on the horizon as Hans MIGHT come up with a proper GTN integration. Maybe even better the issues you mentioned MIGHT be solved too! I fully agree that the Cheyenne is a true gem in FS and is still on par with its best competitors. I would love to use it in P3D 3.4. Thx for your efforts and many thanks to Hans in advance.

Rgds

Tom

Hi Tom,

Yeah - - - to some I probably sound like a broken record - but - it would be a shame to see this fine bird slip into the old proverbial dust bin... Truly a favorite and not much competition right now in the light/med weight twin turboprop market - we have the Real Air Duke at the top of the food chain (no longer for sale) - the F1 King Air (not a fan of G1000 big glass) - and the MilViz King Air pending... The Cheyenne has enough speed and range to be a true traveling machine to get you between various improved airports in our little flight sim world... Again - she just flies so well...

Like everyone else - the Trimble (while a valiant attempt) has always been a source of frustration - equip this bird with a modern GPS and Weather Radar - full P3D compatibility - I'll get another 10 years out of it...

I believe both F1 and MilViz/REX support developers who add their product to aircraft - so hopefully - it's not an insurmountable effort...

My fingers are truly crossed...

:);):)

Thanks for responding...

Regards,
Scott

• 2 months later...

Hello there,

it would indeed be fantastic to see this bird coming alive again in full P3D compatible form.

Fingers crossed!

Cheers

On 6.1.2017 at 13:20, Hans Hartmann sagte:

I'll try to get a copy of the F1 GTN and see what I can do. Don't expect anything within the next four weeks though.

Hans,

I am sure a couple of us would be willing to help you out with this. I loved the Cheyenne in FS9... The F1 GTN in there would be a breath of new life into her!

Andrew

Hi Hans,

Really disappointed - but thanks for responding - realize there is only so much time in a day...

She truly was a favorite...

Regards,

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived