A320/A321 wont slow down on managed approach to reach approach and landing speeds.

adam100

OK- So bare with me here im quite new to the aerosoft site and the aircraft. All goes well from the departure and cruise and then when i get to approach the speed stays really high and will not slow down to approach speeds. This is all in managed mode with the co pilot on. The co pilot seems to be putting the flaps down too late. i end up shooting across the threshold at 200kts or more. Any ideas?

Running FSX with the very lastest a320/a321 download.

thanks in advance

Adam

Hi yes i have been through the step by step guide .....it just doesnt seem to slow down to approach speeds quick enough.....the deceleration point seems to close to the runway threshold. thanks for the speedy reply.

adam

• Deputy Sheriffs

but the step-by step guide worked? If not, there is some kind of user error, e.g. not entering correct data, approaching with too much tailwind ...

Best would be to give an examle when/where it happened, incl flightplan, weather, FL you entered at ToD, screenshot of FCU; PFD, ND and MCDU in that situation.

• 3 months later...

I just had the same issue flying KCLT to KEWR on an IAE equipped A321. The plane intercepted the LOC and GS ok but the flaps would not come down automatically from the copilot calls and when i lowered them manually the speed would not come down. Ended up touching down at 190+ KTS and overran the rwy. Ive had this issue several times. Had a Headwind of 15+ kts RWY 22L KEWR. Ive had this happen from time to time. I dont know what the issue is. 

• Deputy Sheriffs

You are the captain, so you can (and should) take any time the control from the copilot if things are going somehow wrong.

There are many possible reasons why you didn't met the desired speed. I would guess there were a number of mistakes or glitches in a row. 

To be able to help you we would need to be able to follow your descent. Next time keep the view on your PFD, ND and preferably also the FCU during decent and press the "v" key regularly to capture your screen. If the problem occurs again, post your screenshots here, but please convert them into JPG or PNG first.

I believe i am having the same issue that has been reported in the past by numerous users regarding the IAE models. I never have this issue with the CFM aircraft. Hotfix 1.30F was reported to have fixed this so i would assume that version 1.31 which is what i am using would similarly fix this but it has not. 

• Deputy Sheriffs

Version 1.31 is now out for nearly half a year. If this would be a general problem (i.e. defect) with this version the forum would be full of open reports. But they aren't. This topic ended with no furthers replies from the opener. 

So I would assume there is a problem somewhere on your side. And to figure that, we need to follow your decent.

14 hours ago, Grayal said:

I believe i am having the same issue that has been reported in the past by numerous users regarding the IAE models. I never have this issue with the CFM aircraft. Hotfix 1.30F was reported to have fixed this so i would assume that version 1.31 which is what i am using would similarly fix this but it has not. 

If I remember correctly the bug before 1.30F was due to the aircraft not generating enough or nil drag regardless of how early you deploy the flaps or landing gear down. Just as a general guide for manually deploying the flaps you don't really want to be flying at more than:

160kts at 4.0 DME (VAP speed ideal)

180kts at 10 DME (160 kts ideal), 220kts at 20 DME, (200kts ideal). Once you decide to slow down from roughly 220kts at 20 DME you would want to think about selecting flap 1 to help slow you down to meet the above speeds for a general ILS approach. The non bracketed speeds are more on the sporty side commonly flown down on busy approaches like Heathrow to increase capacity.

P.S. Youtube is your friend, watch some PFD and ND view approaches and you will see what I mean.

Edited: Just to be clear for example when passing 10 DME at 180 kts you would want to be slowing down using flap 3 for 160kts or VAP speed. Note that 180 knots at 10 DME is quite sporty as I mentioned above.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Just make sure not to intercept the GS clean and at 200kts or below and you will be fine. In RL with typical winds and weight we select F2 just before GS intercept and let the aircraft balloon into GS*. Deploy the gear in 2000RA with 180kts and push speed managed and continue to configure. 

Works like a charm in RL. For those who like it sporty you may deploy the gear latest when Groundspeed is RA, 170kts GS would be 1700 RA, but sometimes that is a bit too close for comfort when you have to be established in 1000 feet. 

On 1.4.2016 at 19:18, Grayal sagte:

The problem is the following.If you want to work with co-pilot and all in managed mode the A320 CFM works great for you. For the A321 CFM and IAE you just need to have in mind that they usually come in a bit faster. The S-speed is still pretty high (between 190 and 200kn) and it's not always possible to intercept the GS at that speed. For both A321 it is very important to follow the step-by-step guide and activate the APPR PHASE manually in the MCDU right after the APPROACH CL finishes. Otherwise the APPR PHASE is activated at the DECEL waypoint. This waypoint comes way too late to slow down an A321, so always activate it manually.

The only problem is the A320 IAE. It is almost impossible to land this plane inside the limits, depending on the selected approach. The main issue is that the engines are not in idle mode even though they should. For example, yesterday I was flying in managed mode (250kn) and tried to slow down to 210kn in selected mode. This is a difference of 40kn and the engines should be idle. But instead the PFD shows SPEED and if you apply the speedbrake, firstly you get the speedbrake warning and secondly you even see and hear the engines spooling up. The only workaround to avoid this is to go into selected mode for speed AND altitude. This is pretty much the same issue as reported here:

But as The Dude stated this problem is probably already fixed in the beta.

• 3 months later...
On 4/2/2016 at 3:39 AM, The Dude said:

Just make sure not to intercept the GS clean and at 200kts or below and you will be fine. In RL with typical winds and weight we select F2 just before GS intercept and let the aircraft balloon into GS*. Deploy the gear in 2000RA with 180kts and push speed managed and continue to configure. 

Works like a charm in RL. For those who like it sporty you may deploy the gear latest when Groundspeed is RA, 170kts GS would be 1700 RA, but sometimes that is a bit too close for comfort when you have to be established in 1000 feet. 

I seem to be able to fly just fine in the A318/19, but have trouble controlling speed in the A321, so thanks for this. What is the typical speed for short final and touch down in the A321?

Best,

HM

• Deputy Sheriffs

That depends on the weight. The good thing is that the mcdu will tell you the Vls and Vapp. Make sure to increase the Vapp with 2-3 kts. In the sim it is a bit on the low side. 

On 4/7/2016 at 4:01 AM, Timothee said:

For the A321 CFM and IAE you just need to have in mind that they usually come in a bit faster.

Frank is correct ( (obviously, he does this for a living... very well too!) ), it depends on the weight more than anything. But pound for pound, especially how a lot of flight sim pilots load out the aircraft, we can assume that the A321 is loaded out to come in heavier than the average A320.

For those who are new to flying airliners or the Airbus....

My recommendation is to first get used to flying the A318/A319 if you have them (if you don't, the discount makes it worth getting them), the A320 if you don't have the smaller cousins, or you could try a very lean load out of the A321, Get used to that before you try landing a heavy aircrash (play on words... lol).

Note:  One thing that a lot of newer flight sim pilots forget is the LANDING WEIGHT when they're loading out the aircraft (especially FUEL).  If you're flight is only 300nm long, don't load the fuel out for a 1800nm flight. That will lighten the aircraft up considerably.  If you don't have PFPX, try using the SimBrief to help you with the fuel loadout... or if that's too much for you right now you can use the free Fuel Planner that comes with the Airbus.  The heavier the beast is, the faster your approach and landing speeds are going to be and as Timothee and Frank (a.k.a.The Dude)  pointed out above, that can really have a highly undesirable affect on your approach.

Something else... don't forget that flying Shared Cockpit (Connected Flight Deck) with someone experienced in the Airbus can help you compress the learning curve significantly. You'll still have to do some reading and go through the Turtorials on your own, but after that try and catch a Shared Cockpit Flight!  Visit the Aerosoft Connected Flight Deck forum for more information on this.

Friends, I hope I've been able to positively contribute to the discussion and provided a little food for thought.  It's always a pleasure watching people learn the Airbus. Keep learning and asking questions! You're AWESOME!

Best wishes for Happy Flights!

P.S. Remember the advice Tom A320 gave above... if you don't have the Airbus Version 1.31, go and get it and install it using THIS PROCEDURE (verbatim!)..

• Deputy Sheriffs

All the aircraft have the same fuel tank capacity yes. And please do not pile up different questions here. If you have a question that has nothing to do with this topic then open a new one. That makes it easier for all of us in finding and solving problems. 

Archived