AIM-54 Phoenix max range

miroslavmurin

The missiles are generated by TacPack and nothign we can influence. Better ask this in the VRS support forums, the'll be able to assist you better with your question than we can.

I mean target icon start to blink (what is according to Aerosoft manual indication the target is within R max) in same distance as AIM-7. It is between 30-20 Nm. Isn't it F-14x system what is responsible for this indication?

1 hour ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Though the AIM-54 has been out of service for over well over 20 years, the maximum range was approximately 120 nautical miles.

Wasn't the phoenix retired in 2004 though?

Yeah, I thought it stopped deploying in the late 80's and then was used primary as a test vehicle (mostly by the Air Farce I believe), but I might certainly be wrong about when it stopped deploying - I'm going strictly from memory on that.

Just saw the Wiki, which does not jibe with my recollection of the deployment state or the Mig encounter (I thought the missiles used were 120s, but I'm getting older by the minute and they say that memory is the second thing to go!  LOL

Dave

You are correct about the shoot cue range on the Phoenix being short in the F-14X. I will say that I have done some testing in single and multiplayer on targets over 100 miles that were on opposite direction courses and have had successful hits. The target was in STT and I wasn't receiving a shoot cue on release, I just pickled it. It took a loooonnnngggg time for the target and missile to meet.

Archived