Connected Flight Deck - Big delay for Slave

bockmist

Hi all

On our last few flights we recognized that the FO had always a big delay. We tried it over hamachi but also with port forwarding. It was exactly the same.

The delay is very annoying, because the FO is not able to watch the landing for instance. I landed normally but the FO saw that the plane landed before the runway.
Then when I was taxiing to the gate, he saw the plane still on the runway. This can be adaptet to every situation there is always a delay for the FO. It's really a bad experience.

We tried already with different internet providers. It is always the same.

Is this a known problem? Are you already working on it? What about the other users, whats your experience?

Thanks for an answer and good night

Sorry to hear you're having problems. 

This is not a known problem.  Have you guys read the entire OVPA CFD Guide?

One of you guys using a wireless network / wireless network connection?

Hi Dave

Thanks for the fast answer. I really appreciate the support of Aerosoft with the guides and this forum.

We did not read the guide, but I did it now. The only thing I see, is that we only forwarded port 6881. We will add 6882 for the next flight.
But I'm not sure that this will improve our gameplay, because we played already over hamachi, and it was nearly the same. But I can't prove it, because I wasn't FO since we tried with port forwarding.
Of course we will test it, and I will report the result here, thank you for this advice.

We do not use wireless network. We hate it, for gaming we use the good old cable ;-). I think it's very special, because in other games (Rocket League, Company of Heroes or something else) we have never had a delay between us.
So we decided to open a case in this forum.

I would appreciate if other user could tell about their gameplay. Do you have delay too?

Thank you and have a nice day

Bockmist,

You are most welcome.

You're absolutely correct about wireless connections (at least the vast majority of them). The latency causes a lot of problems with any sort of online gaming.

Hamachi can be problematic, so I strongly recommend you stick with Port Forwarding and provide screen shots of the Port Forward Settings (I'm just coverring all the bases here) AND a screen shot of the Port Forwarding Test outlined in the OVPA CFD Troubleshooting Guide.

Just curious, have either of you had a CFD flight with another person?  If so, how did that go?

Thanks for letting me know that you're both connected via a CAT 5 cable.  I also want to check what type of service you guys have, and I'd like for you both to run an Internet speed test (not sure where you are, but in the U.S. please use http://www.speedtest.net and let me know both of your Download Speeds, Upload Speeds, and Latency.

Here is a list of the information I need from both of you to help isolate the problem:

1. Speed Test Results (Download Speed, Upload Speed, Latency)

2. Screen shots of both Port Forward Settings.

3. Screen Shot of the Simple Port Tester results.

4. Type of Internet Service (Cable, DSL, Mesh Network, Satelite, etc.)

5. Whether either of you have had a successful CFD flight with someone else. 

6. If the problem you're having isolated to aircraft position (lag)?  Are the FMC (CDUs) and other systems sync'd during your flights?

If you need a good Screen Shot program, one you could use is Screenshot Captor (it's free, a donation is not required but you'll have to setup an account to get it). I like this program because you can define the area that you want to take a shot of rather than an entire screen. Another good one (my favorite) is ScreenPrint 32, though a lot of people have difficulty running this in Windows 7 or later.

Thank you for taking the time to provide the information above, I know it takes some effort, but it will help us get you guys flying in CFD.

Hey, don't forget our Worldwide Broadcast Shared Cockpit / Connected Flight Deck Broadcast with Aerosoft and Majestic on November 14th!  See this LINK for details!

Hi Dave

Of course we give you the information :-).

1. We are from Switzerland so we used a Swiss Speedtest. Files: SpeedTestBockmist and SpeedTestDinouso

2. PFBockmist and PFDinouso

3. SimplePortDinouso and SimplePort Bockmist

4. I have Cable and my friend has VDSL

5. No, we just have flown together

6. We only have problems with the aircraft position. All the other things are working very well.

We both have CAT5 cable.

During airborne the delay is 0.5 miles, we see that on the navigation display. Maybe you can verify this, when you check it out on your next CFD flight.

We saw that in an other forum post a user with the name TheCookieMonster told about this problem (just search for "delay" in the thread):
http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/94015-ivao-first-impression-connected-flight-deck/

Thank you and kind regards

Please login to display this image.

Okay, everything looking good so far.

The first speed test result... is that person running any other software when he's flying that might use the Internet (such as streaming video out)?

I just want to verify that you guys have had this problem with both Hotfix F and Version 1.31?

Regardless of the speed test, I'm guessing that there is something interfering with connection / latency. It almost has to be this.

My team of testers have made countless flights in the Airbus A320 series after Hotfix F and only about 10 since the 1.31 update, and none of the 7 pilots have experienced the prroblem you guys are.

Because of computer security requirements that my team has, I'm not able to test the connection with you.  I do however plan to get another copy of the Airbus installed on a laptop just for customer troubleshooting.  Unfortunately we have a major broadcast coming up and I'm tied up with that until after the 14th.  So what I recommend in the meantime is that you both attempt a flight with someone else and see who is able to fly without the problem and who isn't. This will help us focus in on where the problem is.

Sorry, but I'm off for the night, but I'll be back online tomorrow at about 1300 GMT.

Hi Dave

Wow, I am really impressed by your effort, thank you for that!!

It's my Speed Test and I am not running any other software. When i play FSX I finish carefully all other software to have full power for the FSX.

We play with 1.30 Hotfix f. We haven't upgraded to version 1.31 so far. We haven't done this so far because we did not see something about this in the release notes.

For me it is very strange that all other things in the cockpit are syncing very fast. It's just the position and that is what i dont understand...

Interesting, what you tell about your testing team. That makes me confident!

Of course I understand, that you are not able to test it with us. It will be hard to find somebody else, but I will try it. In addition we thought about to try it in a LAN. He will come to me or i will go to his home and then we try it ower a switch. But we need some time for this... :-).

Dave, thank you so far!

Bockmist,

You are most welcome, it's my pleasure to give you a hand.

In CFD, aircraft position is essentially separate from the switch functions, but given the results you've provided me thus far I don't believe it's a network related problem.

Because I was initially focused on this being a network problem, I neglected to check both your processors, graphics cards, graphics card settings, FSX graphics settings, and your frame rates while running the Airbus (single or shared cockpit, but shared would be best).

If it's not too much trouble, would you guys kindly check and send me that information?

Graphics: 660 GTX and a 670GTX.

Processor: i7 4790K 4.3GHZ (overclocked) and i5 750 2.6GHZ

HD: Both Samsung SSD

I have normally between 20 and 30 FPS. We limited the frames, max 30 frames. My friend has in the air over 25 FPS. But at the airport it is variable between 10 and 25 (10 is very seldom).

So in the air we had the 0.5 miles delay with a stable FPS rate. Today we made another test. My friend was the master, we thought maybe it's a problem that he has lower frames. But it was the same...

What do you think about fsx with widescreen? I have 3 monitors and i play with 5760x1080 solution. I dont think so that could be a problem...

Okay, you likely have a bottleneck on your system, so I recommend removing all overclock settings.  Overclocking is not needed (at all) with your system.  You will find that FSX runs smoother by doing that.  You also need to set your FSX Graphics to THIS. I'm guessing that you haven't got the best FSX.CFG settings, so I recommend you use THIS to adjust them.  I apologize, but I'm overwhelmed with many projects and some time ago I had to stop doing system grooms.  You'll also want to download and install NVIDIA Inspector and apply the settings recommended in the second link I provided to you in this response.  All of these recommendations apply to your friend as well.

Doing the above will make things smoother, but I'm not certain they will affect the problem you're seeing.  You should also test your CFD flight a default airports if you haven't done so already.

With the above in mind, the CFD software should re-position your friends plane several times per second, so why he's a half mile behind you is very strange. The post you referenced a few days ago - that problem occurred before several Hotfixes, though I'm not sure it wasn't one of the systems involved.

I'd like for you guys to uninstall version 1.30 as per the Aerosoft instructions (I've re-posted them below) and then install version 1.31.  This version has several updates and will also help by eliminating an errant Hotfix Installation.  I've been using the latest version for a while and I've had no problems with it.  I'll add that if you have any FSUIPC settings for the Airbus or common to all aircraft then you'll have to remove them or else they will cause significant (and REALLY strange) problems.  The throttles and control surfaces work just fine without FSUIPC assignments.

I know this takes time on your part, but stick with me and we'll do the very best to get this resolved for you.

JUST FOR ANYONE WHO MIGHT BE READING THIS - THIS IS NOT THE AEROSOFT AIRBUS SOFTWARE.  The vast majority of people are able to use CFD without any difficult, but sometimes we have a situation where one or more problems on a person's system exist that may not present in single cockpit.  In this case, we're trying to track down what the actual problem is.

Hi Dave

I can't see the links...?

Possible that my system is the bottleneck, but I'm not sure about that because everything is working smooth and good. Of course I will try your suggestions.

We will try 1.31 too. And the thing with the neutral airport as well. I have some FSUIPC commands. I will remove them.

No problem, I  take the time to get this fixed.

Thank you and kind regards

Bobkmist,

I'm very sorry for forgetting the links.  I was up working very late when I saw your reply.

I have edited my post to include the links, and added a little more information to clarify some of the information I shared with you.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Guys,

I think I found the problem.

Please be sure you guys are using the same weather engine and settings.  This should mitigate the positional problem you're having.

Since we spent so much time looking at network issues, let me tell you that I've never, not once, provided tech support to two guys who has such clean networks! Excellent job on that!

Let me know if the weather corrects the issues.  If you're using ActiveSkyNext, I can tell you that it has a nasty little problem of changing out of Live Weather every once in a while, so you'll have to check it before a flight.

Hi Dave

I am really sorry for my late response.

We haven't tested the things yet. But we will do it! Is it possible that I still not see your link in your post from the 7. november...?

Maybe I am doing something wrong :-).

To the weather.

We both use Active Sky Next. So what can we do with that Active Sky problem? First we have to use the same settings.  But what do we have to check before the flight?

Thank you Dave and kind regards

You are always welcome.

A few days ago I pinned a CFD Weather Guide to the top of this forum, and it's specifically addressed ActiveSkyNext settings.  I threw in the FTX Vector settings for good measure as they can royally mess up a CFD (or even single cockpit flight as well.

Hope this corrects your issue.

Please stay in touch, and happy flights!

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problems with every version so far, lateral position is delayed while vertical position is sync. (which results in too low and early touch downs for the FO).

Every other multiplayer flying, be it BMS 4.33 (real close up formations) or FSX default shared cockpit, works without any problems.

1 hour ago, TheCookieMonster said:

have the same problems with every version so far, lateral position is delayed while vertical position is sync. (which results in too low and early touch downs for the FO).

Please see my post of Nov 19th in this thread.  There is a 95% chance It's either that, or a network issue.

From what you're describing, it's what I posted on Nov 19th.

Happy flights!

• 1 month later...

Archived