Aileron settings / calibration FSUIPC with FSX Autorudder

bbuckley

Been really loving flying this airplane.  I've been getting reacquainted with the F-14 and calibrating controls while doing some VFR work and cross counties on the PilotEdge network. Everything seems to work like the real jet (according to distant memories and NATOPS) or at least as advertised in any limitations.  AP modes all work as advertised.  I'm flying legacy FSX with Acceleration.  (Gear always indicate unsafe when UP but I mentioned that in another post.)

I am having a little lateral control issues on speed in the landing configuration.  Unfortunately, I do not have rudder pedals so I'm using FSX Autorudder.  Has anyone found the "best" FSUIPC Aileron calibration settings to compensate for no rudder controls?  Here is an excerpt from my FSUIPC.ini for reference. Aileron cal at bottom, slope - 3.

Thanks,

--Bruce

[JoystickCalibration.F14]
AllowSuppressForPFCquad=Yes
ExcludeThrottleSet=Yes
ExcludeMixtureSet=Yes
ExcludePropPitchSet=Yes
SepRevsJetsOnly=No
ApplyHeloTrim=No
UseAxisControlsForNRZ=No
FlapsSetControl=0
FlapDetents=No
ReverserControl=66292
Reverser1Control=66422
Reverser2Control=66425
Reverser3Control=66428
Reverser4Control=66431
MaxThrottleForReverser=256
AileronTrimControl=66731
RudderTrimControl=66732
CowlFlaps1Control=66162
CowlFlaps2Control=66163
CowlFlaps3Control=66164
CowlFlaps4Control=66165
SteeringTillerControl=0
MaxSteerSpeed=60
Aileron=-16384,-1040,1024,16128
SlopeAileron=3

Elevator=-16253,-520,512,16256
SlopeElevator=2
Throttle1=-16384,-16384,-16384,16128/8
Throttle2=-16384,-16384,-16384,16256/8

Bruce,

I don't have much experience with the FSX autorudder. By any chance have you tried the late A model (VF-154) or any of the B models that have an airleron-rudder-interconnect? It was modeled almost identically after an early version that NASA designed for improved control on approach, but very much before the final version that was integrated into fleet operations. That limitation aside, it might be an improvement over the Autorudder.

The gear-unsafe indicators are already fixed in our internal build for the next service pack. We had another F-14 driver approach us in the spring, and he's given us some great points to refine and improve the accuracy of the cockpit. Let me know if you'd like to give it a look.

Best,

John

Thanks John,

Tried the B model with autorudder disabled, about the same roll characteristics on speed short final, very sensitive.  I know the real jet can kinda "wallow" a bit but I don't remember it being this sensitive.  I also tried roll stab off just for grins.  In any event I just broke down and bought rudder pedals.  Most of my FSX flying has been for IFR procedure proficiency but with the F-14 and other things I'm doing now, I need the rudders.

I'd love to look at the cockpit mods. 

Thanks,

Bruce

That was going to be my only suggestion, get pedals. I waited way too long and finally went for both the pedals and TM Warthog HOTAS, all this running on my gaming laptop.

Bruce, I have a hard copy NATOPS and tons of books on the Tomcat, but that little bit of gouge is what I am looking for to complete the immersion of flying the 14 in this $50 "game". I know AS had some input during development, but it would be great for us "flying by the numbers" to get pilot techniques in all phase of flight, specifically behind the boat.

14 hours ago, Victory103 said:

Bruce, I have a hard copy NATOPS and tons of books on the Tomcat, but that little bit of gouge is what I am looking for to complete the immersion of flying the 14 in this $50 "game". I know AS had some input during development, but it would be great for us "flying by the numbers" to get pilot techniques in all phase of flight, specifically behind the boat.

I don't suppose you could upload a photo of the front and back covers of the NATOPs and how it is bound together with its dimensions? I have a digital copy but am in a a graphics communication/print technology program and can print it but have found little in the way of how they are bound.

Thanks

-Josh

15 hours ago, Victory103 said:

Happy to share what little I can.  Going to set up and cal the rudders tonight and after I get a few hours inflight I'll post results here.

One thing that's worth noting, is that while we had an F-14 driver with about 2,000 hours sign off on the in-flight behavior, the real dirty details came from three sources came from NASA.

The attached PDF is the comparison of several ARI logical configurations please an un-augmented aircraft. In particular, the control response charts from pages 61-78 were used to set the behavior in sim; and the control system identified as "C" on pages 60 and 61 was implemented in this sim (pretty much by the numbers). If you really want to geek out, then the damping factors in the fourier transforms (1/X.Xs + Y) were even calculated out as scalars within the native 18hz refresh rates using the attached conversion factors.

But translation issues (between reality, sim, and sim) aren't perfect (or even all that close to it really). So feedback is always welcome.

18Hz Time Constants.xlsx

F-14 Aileron-Rudder Interconnect, Simulation.pdf

Archived