500MB VAS reduction and increase FPS by 22% in V3

Chris Bell

On 21 ottobre 2015 at 8:30 PM, Nuno Pinto said:

This memory 'phenomena' happens with my P3DV3 as well, but in contrast, i have much better performance with HT (AffinityMask 85 = All physical cores) than without HT (AffinityMask 14 = only last 3 physical cores).

If i use Mask = 84 with HT (one less core like without HT) or Mask = 15 (all cores like with HT), i have considerable stuttering. With Mask 85 and HT, i am able to maintain 60fps throughout most sceneries i fly in with VSYNC enabled, which is butter smooth and incredible.

Main Hardware: nVidia GTX980; Core i7 4790K (4.6GHz), 8GB DDR3 2.4GHz.

Yesterday, i had a test with these settings:

Bergen to Heathrow (both Aerosoft)

Addons: OpenLC, Vector, FTX Global Base, EGLC, EGKK, EGSS, ASN with increased cloud density, online on IVAO, PMDG 737-700, no AES (obviously), no GSX, no other addons

I was able to maintain 40 to 60fps throughout all phases of flight, even on touchdown at EGLL and my VAS never went below 1.1GB. I use a small tool i wrote myself to help me monitor all this, image attached (if you want a copy just PM me).

I find it hard to believe some people actually manage to have OOM with V3. I suspect it must be related to the immense quantity of addons (traffic, airport effects such as ORBX's, etc) used, because even on FSX it was hard for me to have OOM. If i performed this flight with good old FSX, i would still be able to land, but with ~200MB of free memory as opposed to 1.1GB yesterday.

I am happy with what LM offered us and i am going to purchase V3 for sure (i am running a 30 day license right now), because it surely deserves my cash.

Sorry if i went a bit offtopic, but wanted to share my experiences and how happy i am with the new memory management.

Please login to display this image.

Hi!

It's possible share your settings? 40/60fps during approach in egll it's very very impressive!

thanks!

These are the only things i have messed with in the config. The rest is done by the hardware. I get 60fps almost everywhere, except older airports with incompatible models which cause problems in P3D.

[BufferPools]
UsePools=0

[JobScheduler]
AffinityMask=85

[DISPLAY]
ChangeTime=4.000000
TransitionTime=4.000000
TEXTURE_FILTERING=16
MSAA=8
SSAA=4
VSYNC=1
FXAA=0
TRIPLE_BUFFER=1

Interesting, I wonder how you were able to hold those 60fps. I tried your settings and and did improve something but not that much really. I am now having about an average of 40fps. I'm using a i7-4790k @4.80GHz - GTX960 @1.4GHz 4GB GDRR5

May I ask if you also overclocked your Cache?

7 hours ago, Nuno Pinto said:

These are the only things i have messed with in the config. The rest is done by the hardware. I get 60fps almost everywhere, except older airports with incompatible models which cause problems in P3D.

[BufferPools]
UsePools=0

[JobScheduler]
AffinityMask=85

[DISPLAY]
ChangeTime=4.000000
TransitionTime=4.000000
TEXTURE_FILTERING=16
MSAA=8
SSAA=4
VSYNC=1
FXAA=0
TRIPLE_BUFFER=1

Sorry but this only a small part of my request. It's possible share your complete settings? Thanks.

• Aerosoft

Setting are linked to what you actually do with the sim ( a VFR flight with thousands of trees and dense mesh has very different demands than  a Airbus on Frankfurt) and your hardware. For example the affinitymask depends on the amount of cores of your CPU. I got 6 and this affinitymask would be unsuitable for me. 

Btw, we have experimented extensively with affinitymask and after FSX SP1 have never seen any serious and reproducible positive effect. Microsoft, Dovetails and Lockheed know that leaving this to the OS will almost always bring the best results. Locking applications to cores made sense for Windows XP where this was a bit of a mess, but it is very smooth in Windows 10.  And always keep in mind that these settings will have side effects. No bufferpools means that some processes will have to wait for a cycle to be run. It 'might' have a tiny effect on FPS but the side effects are most certainly visible for me with more stutter.

There ARE no magic settings that give brilliant FPS, if changes in the CFG's give big results it is almost always a sign of a problem somewhere else (for example tweaks to the GPU driver). Not too long ago at a developers meeting I installed Win8.1 and FSX:SP2 (and inserted the highmem tweak). We did FPS average testing under tough conditions. The next day three dev teams 'tweaked' the setup. They could do what they wanted, all went haywire on the CFG's, some inserted things that were useful in FS2004 but were not even read by FSX. after all that work only one team showed a statistically positive result with a 10% increase in FPS. But as expected they removed all smoothing out of the GPU pipeline so FPS were highly unstable and jerky. Very unpleasant. Final result was that a simple clean cfg as made by the sim was best (with the high mem tweak of course).

22 hours ago, emshomar said:

Interesting, I wonder how you were able to hold those 60fps. I tried your settings and and did improve something but not that much really. I am now having about an average of 40fps. I'm using a i7-4790k @4.80GHz - GTX960 @1.4GHz 4GB GDRR5

May I ask if you also overclocked your Cache?

I didn't overclock anything, except the CPU (4.6GHz). You have a GTX960 which is much inferior to the 980. That alone is responsible for not being able to sustain a higher framerate. Also, a high clocked memory helps too, i run mine at 2400MHz.

What Mathijs says is true as well. Each PC will have different behaviours with the same settings. I don't run any antivirus at all, i have my PC configured as an administrator (a REAL administrator, not that thing you disable in the control panel), i only have SSDs (everything is read much faster into memory - helps with everything as well).

The Affinity Mask _DOES_ have interference even on P3D V3. If you set a really bad affinity mask, your simulator will stutter like crazy. The truth about AF is experimenting with it. Some PCs will behave better with none at all, some with 84, some with 85... And i'm talking about a Quad Core _WITH_ hyperthreading enabled. This will change again if HT is disabled, if you have a hexacore... You see, the possibilities are almost endless, it requires a lot of testing to obtain the best settings for each machine.

Thanks for the replies! I was told that FSX/P3D is very CPU dependent. Upgrading to a higher end GPU will only show minimal affect on the frames. I gave more time into it and did some experimenting and found that using 0 Bufferpools will lag the mesh textures to be loaded, but improves the FPS by lot. For the cost of having blured ground I was not ready to take that in action! The affinity mask setting however did not improve anything at all! Instead it introduced microstutters when having the bufferpools setting deleted.

I ended up just deleting both entries from the cfg file and now I'm again at around 40fps average. I'm not planning to overclock my ram, espacially not with those cheap ones I have!

• 3 weeks later...
On 23.2.2016 at 23:40, emshomar sagte:

Interesting, I wonder how you were able to hold those 60fps.

Got it answered myself, I had traffic on which appearently was a fps killer. Mine runs pretty much the same at 60fps if I keep all the traffic off.

Also I found that one tweak:

[MAIN]

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.33

which helped keeping the sim very smooth.

• Aerosoft

Well according two major of the devs of FSX Phil Taylor and Adam Szofran fiber frame settings only make sense on single core machines

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION determines the maximum amount of time per frame that we will run fiber jobs on the primary thread. We measure how long it took to simulate and render and then multiply that time by FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION to determine how long to run the fibers. For example, if it took 10 milliseconds to simulate and render and FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION was set to the default value of 0.33, then we would allow the fibers on the primary thread to run for up to 10 * 0.33 = 3.3 milliseconds. For fraction values of 1.0 and 2.0, the time given to fibers would be 10 milliseconds and 20 milliseconds, respectively. The operation of FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION on single core machines has not changed since RTM.

On multi-core machines in SP1, we moved many fiber jobs off of the primary thread and onto secondary threads. Since FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION only affects scheduling of jobs on the primary thread, it will have less of an impact on the performance of Flight Sim on multi-core machines. In fact, we moved so many jobs off of the primary thread that there probably isn't enough fiber work left to soak up the full time allowed by the default value of 0.33.

I done extensive testing on this parameter and found absolutely no positive effect. Snake oil. But if anybody thinks it helps, by all means tweak it. The most likely result will be that you leave part of your first core unused and that might indeed smooth things out if you got a lot running on that core. But on my machine any setting over 0.33 just lowered fps (as expected by the explanation above).

Archived