Updated DirectX 10 Patch for FSX

Joachim (Joe)

Hello guys,

As read at flusinews.de I am testing a new patch for the DX10 Preview Mode of FSX. I have really given up on DirectX 10 in the past, as suggested in so many manuals because of scenery compatibility problems, black textures with AES, among so many other issues; the list is long. Now some of these issues seem to be gone. For example I have tested AES with the DirectX 10 mode on and the black textures are fixed. I see the textures of the trucks. I also have no more flashing taxi ways. The patch seems to be a long effort and is being discussed very actively on the AVSIM forums. I have a lot more testing to do before I can permanently leave this option on but I just wanted to share this new update, if you have not read it somewhere already :)

Greetings,

Joe

Unfortunately many of the Aerosoft Sceneries do not work, at least at night most of them are grey.

But I (and many others) had a discussion about a long time ago and they will not fix anything as DX10 is just a preview...

What I am missing in the discussion is why it makes sense to use DX10. I agree that some elements look a bit better (water) but even with this new system lights are still a mess.

Agreed, if it surely mattered that much the former Aces teams now at Lockheed Martin would have fixed it.

I am not sure what already has been discussed here about this topic, I don't want to wake up any sleeping dogs. There are definitely less compatibility and fewer problems to stay with DX9.

The advantages I see is more smoothness, noticeable better frame rates, even better watter effects (not that they are bad with DX9) and minor things that one notices during a flight, like a darker sky.

I also noticed that the landing lights of my PMDG 737 NGX look different, less gradient-effect visible. Looks better, but I am finding other issues and testing with a friend, he noticed parts of AES stay white. I did not see this at Zürich with AES but not done testing. I am sticking with DX9 for flying but still playing around with this new patch at times.

I agree that some elements look a bit better (water) but even with this new system lights are still a mess.

Do you mean the airport lights? Or what lights in specific, so I can see what you mean.

Agreed, if it surely mattered that much the former Aces teams now at Lockheed Martin would have fixed it.

Good point, they removed it because it caused to many issues, this is what I read somewhere and they are working on DirectX11 now. :) that will be interesting.

• Aerosoft

well the only reason i see in using dx10 prewiev is that the flightsim runs 3 times as smooth whit higher frame rates.. that my argument for dx10

Yes I get slightly smoother framerates but that's not an issue many people have these days. For me (and I did test the new ideas) it still makes little sense.

That silly DX10 preview mode in FSX has cost us tens of thousands of Euro's in support, it always was a disaster. The new ideas are cool but they also do not document the options (just as MS did not do any documentation in the sdk's). So for professional work it is more or less irrelevant. We cannot develop products and make 5000 boxes only to find out the developer changed something.

• 2 weeks later...

I use DX10 only (since a long time ago) with VERY good result, it's not perfect, is DX9 perfect.

It's up to you to see if it's working on your rig or not, the thing I found a LOT better in DX10 is that I can push my eye candy to the max, here is two vid. I made when testing DX10, look at the car traffic and try to get the same result in DX9 with that much traffic, also, bloom enable +++.

We still see a lot of autogen popping in DX10 as we see in DX9 so nothing new here, I have no problem what so ever with lights, not perfect but keep in mind that bloom is enable, my LOD is at 9.5...phew.

I used default chopper in the first vid. and Captain Sim 777 in the second vid.

Please don't mind the paning around as I was testing. Tell me that cockpit shadow is not immersive....

Ok here it is...

• 1 month later...

Hi @all,

I am a FSX- newbie and haven´t found any moderate answer according my problems with DirectX:

If I have the DirectX-Preview switched off, there are no buildings on many aersoft products, like LEPA, all Holiday Airports, MA Amsterdam etc. Also the PMDG 747X is only a frame.

If I have the DirectX-Preview selected all buildings were shown but a lot of scenery objects like AES, runways etc. are grey or default.

What´s wrong there? I´ve ever thought the Sceneries were especially built for FSX. Or is there something wrong with my settings?

Best regards, Erik

Hello;

If you have the DX 10 not selected,there should be no problems,you might want to find your Fsx cfg.make a copy of it,delete the original,start Fsx again,and it should make a new one.Also for your other settings,its in the documents,where your Fsx flight plans go to,there is another setting Cfg.,remove that one as well,and make a new one,this should correct your problem.

What type of video card do you have,what type of system is Fsx installed,it helps if you give some information like that.

I've tried the DX10 selection a couple of times,some add-ons work,and most don't,you'll have to read the desription of the add-on.And another good thing to do,is install Fsx inn its own folder,not in the Program Files,

Mark

What I am missing in the discussion is why it makes sense to use DX10. I agree that some elements look a bit better (water) but even with this new system lights are still a mess.

Just the other day I picked up the DX10 fix, so I've not had much time to experiment with it. From what I've seen so far though the fix has brought a massive improvement to using DX10.

Of significance, I noted that DX10 mode seems to make FSX use less of it's Virtual Address Space (VAS). For example; with US Cities X LA, FSDT KLAX and the NGX I would get an OOM after a few minutes in DX9, whereas with DX10 I can run the same addons at higher settings peaking at ~3.7GB VAS.

So I think DX10 mode has potential and is important for users running high end addons.

Just the other day I picked up the DX10 fix, so I've not had much time to experiment with it. From what I've seen so far though the fix has brought a massive improvement to using DX10.

Of significance, I noted that DX10 mode seems to make FSX use less of it's Virtual Address Space (VAS). For example; with US Cities X LA, FSDT KLAX and the NGX I would get an OOM after a few minutes in DX9, whereas with DX10 I can run the same addons at higher settings peaking at ~3.7GB VAS.

So I think DX10 mode has potential and is important for users running high end addons.

So true , it would be good to get a patch for DX10.

I'm excited with DX10 mode too! I don't know what happened in the past but now with Steve's fix and newer machines DX10 rocks and the developers must have a second look at this.

Hello;

If you have the DX 10 not selected,there should be no problems,you might want to find your Fsx cfg.make a copy of it,delete the original,start Fsx again,and it should make a new one.Also for your other settings,its in the documents,where your Fsx flight plans go to,there is another setting Cfg.,remove that one as well,and make a new one,this should correct your problem.

What type of video card do you have,what type of system is Fsx installed,it helps if you give some information like that.

I've tried the DX10 selection a couple of times,some add-ons work,and most don't,you'll have to read the desription of the add-on.And another good thing to do,is install Fsx inn its own folder,not in the Program Files,

Mark

Sorry for the late repsonse. I was a bit disappointed and intimidated o Mathijs' reply which is deleted in the meanwhile. I am aerosoft customer since 2005 and not used to be treatened roughly.

Here are my systems data: Intel2Core E8500,2x 2,33GHz,4GB RAM,GraKa Radeon Sapphire HD6750 2GB DDR3,Win7 64bit

In my opinion it is a great pity being faced with the decision: quit DirectX and fly a fully displayed aircraft and scenery with all it's obects, AI-traffic but with the disadvantage of some missing building parts at airports. Or the other way around: use the DirectX-Preview and enjoy the well appreciated aerosoft's scenery but having aircraft displayed as a frame and grey shaded scenery parts. There is not really a compromism. Something is left anytime.

Is there definitively no way to solve these problems?

Sorry for the late repsonse. I was a bit disappointed and intimidated o Mathijs' reply which is deleted in the meanwhile. I am aerosoft customer since 2005 and not used to be treatened roughly.

Here are my systems data: Intel2Core E8500,2x 2,33GHz,4GB RAM,GraKa Radeon Sapphire HD6750 2GB DDR3,Win7 64bit

In my opinion it is a great pity being faced with the decision: quit DirectX and fly a fully displayed aircraft and scenery with all it's obects, AI-traffic but with the disadvantage of some missing building parts at airports. Or the other way around: use the DirectX-Preview and enjoy the well appreciated aerosoft's scenery but having aircraft displayed as a frame and grey shaded scenery parts. There is not really a compromism. Something is left anytime.

Is there definitively no way to solve these problems?

Almost certainly. Find the problem with your computer. And fix it.

Clearly you have a problem that others have not. Clearly you have not adopted any kind of practical approach to troubleshooting. Clearly you haven't researched all the potential pitfalls of DX10 which is NOT supported in FSX - it's a PREVIEW. And now you're whining about rough treatment when you've blatantly ignored the sound advice you were given - you even quoted it back with no indication you actually did what you were told to do...

Definitively, the answer to your problem is to raise your game.

Your simple computer specs are not enough. THINK about what other changes you have made to FSX, what idiot advice you have taken or stupid changes you have allowed some piece of addon trash to make to your system or your FSX configuration, and tell us about them. But before you do that, take the advice you have been given.

And frankly if you've not been treated roughly by PMDG support you are the lucky one. We are pussycats compared to them. They don't need to accommodate the lowest common denominator because they only make high-end products.They have high expectations of the customer level matching that sophistication. And very low tolerance when it doesn't... Good for them, I say!

Now, get real with your problem. Your FSX newbie excuses will not wash from the moment you tell us you're a PMDG customer. I believe we are entitled to a reasonable level of competence from such a simmer, sufficient to be able to present a troubleshoot in a complete and fathomable fashion.

Final point: THIS IS NOT A SUPPORT FORUM...

Archived