Katana and scenery.cfg problem

Hello all,

Yesterday I bought the DA-20 Katana for FSX. After installation, when I attempted to start FSX the prgress bar would get to 7% and freeze for a few minutes, then FSX would crash: FSX has encountered an error and needs to close, or something to that effect.

Fine - no worries; FSX has been on the system for a long time and I had a lot of add-on aircraft that I wasn't using and I could believe there was some wonkiness.

I uninstalled and reinstalled and checked to see that everything worked. I installed SP1 and SP2, then checked again. Stilll good. I installed the Katana and FSX exits almost immediately after starting with a "The file scenery.cfg is missing or damaged. Please reinstall Flight Simulator to restore or repair the file. Flight Simulator will now exit." error.

After a little digging, I found that some people had used a utility called FSTscenery.exe to fix up the scenery.cfg file. I did that and all was well. FSX started fine and I had a couple quick flights in the Reno/Lake Tahoe area of western Nevada.

This morning I thought I might have a quick flight before work, but:

"The file scenery.cfg is missing or damaged. Please reinstall Flight Simulator to restore or repair the file. Flight Simulator will now exit."

Well, it isn't missing. It is right where it was yesterday, and I haven't seen where it might be damaged.

I suppose I can uninstall and reinstall again but that won't take long to get old.

Cheers,

John

Hello John,

I can feel with you and hope you find a solution soon - but it can't be releated to the Katana add-on, as it has nothing to do with the scenery.cfg or scenery files. Also other cfgs are not edited due the Katana installation.

Greetings,

Marcel

• Upvote 1

Hi Marcel,

Well, I uninstalled and reinstalled as before.

Happily. FSX started and ran and I tried a flight from Reno/Stead to San Carlos in the Katana. After climbing high enough to get over the mountains fsx froze. Happily it restarted fine, so I tried the same flight again. The game froze over the mountains again. I tried the flight in a Mooney. No problem. Tried again in the Katana, and it froze again.

I'm going to go try it in Florida.

I forced my Katana 4x at least twice above 16000 ft and never experienced a freezing of my FSX... Maybe rather scenery or configuration related but hardly a fault of the Katana 4X.

• Upvote 1