Hardware poll

Aerosoft Team [Inactive Account]

Your hardware (read post below poll first)  

727 members have voted

1. 1. What's your CPU like

• Intel Core i7 class, pretty fast
    • Intel Core i5 / AMD Phenom II X4 class, more then okay
    • Intel Core i3, Core 2 Quad / AMD Phenom, Athlon, Opteron
    • Slower then all that
    • not sure, that's the thing under the fan right?
  2. 2. How much memory do you have

• 8 GB or more
    • 6 GB or more
    • 4 GB or more
    • 3 GB or more
    • 2 GB or more
    • 1 GB or more
    • Not sure, for sure some!
  3. 3. What's your harddisk like?

• SSD + Storage HD
    • Fast raided HD
    • Standard HD
    • Not sure.... that the thing that stores my documents right?
  4. 4. What's your Graphics Card like?

• Top end >$400
    • High end >$250
    • More then okay >$150
    • More less okay >$75
    • Low end / on motherboard
    • No idea, do I need one?
  5. 5. What OS are you using?

• W7 / 64 bits
    • W7 / 32 bits
    • Vista / 64 bits
    • Vista / 32 bits
    • XP / 64 bits
    • XP / 32 bits
    • None Windows
    • Not sure, looks nice though.
  6. 6. How do you connect to the Internet

• Cable / ADSL 8Mbit/s or more
    • Cable / ADSL 4Mbit/s or more
    • Cable / ADSL 1Mbit/s or more
    • Cable / ADSL below 1Mbit/s
    • Dialup
    • Not sure

• Aerosoft

We are trying to update our 'average' customer (we call him Joe Thesimmer) and with this poll we like to find out what kind of hardware the users of this forum have.

If you intend to update your hardware in the next two months, fill it in as if you already owned the new hardware!

The poll will run for three weeks and if you leave a small comment you will be eligible for one of the 5 free downloads we'll give away at the end (we'll let fate decide who wins those 5). Any kind of comment will do, perhaps some loose idea you had, some nice words for a developer, an angry though you like the vent...

• Upvote 3

I have Just upgraded to 16Gb RAM and intend to upgrade to an i7-8xx But am not sure which one yet, I also only have 1.5Mb internet at home but when I am at universtiy during term time I have 20Mb+. Whilst I can by no means run FSX with all the sliders to the right, I feel that My system is perfectably acceptable for day to day flying, and I find that aerosoft developers are very helpful in providing advice on how best to set up the sim for different hardware and products.

Hmmm, not sure the average customer is posting on this forum. I would expect many people just buy boxed products in the shop and never visit the company website. And these people may be the same ones that have a bit lower end systems.

My specs are

i7 930 clocked to 3.5ghz

6gb ram

Regular HDD with 7200RPM

ATI HD5870 1gb graphics card

Win7 64bit

10Mbits+ ADSL line.

I wish FSX ran even better on this system, but planes like the NGX is flyable with most settings high and big airports with weather.

Interesting poll....Mathijs, I know you are looking for the average simmer, but I would be interested to learn how many of us overclock their CPU.

Maybe that is for a different poll.

I build my own computer, and select good system components to begin with with an eye on an upgrade path so as to allow my system a 3, maybe 4 year lifespan.

Here are some good questions for a different poll - maybe I will set up a poll after yours expires:

How much money do you spend on your computer? (provide price ranges)

How long do you keep your computer before replacing it?

What do you use your computer primarily for? (Gaming, Office productivity, etc)

Did you build your computer or purchase it?

Do you overclock your CPU?

What is your sim platform of choice FSX or FS2004?

• Deputy Sheriffs

Additional question could have been: How old is your hardware setup? Looking at my hardware at the time I bought it, it was close to highend, today it's more kind of higher midclass.

As I do not only simming with my PC, it is ok for me to upgrade it about every 4 years. This is just depending on budget and other preferences, as FS is not my only passion. ;)

My PC is over two years old now. I had it custom-built by a local computer shop. I haven't upgraded it since, but it still runs sims like FSX and RoF very smoothly with high graphics settings. One thing that greatly improved my frame rates in FSX was this post by Mathijs: http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php/topic/30796-why-i-get-50-fps-in-fsx-and-you-might-not/. My fame rates went from about 25-30 to anywhere from 50-100 depending on the area. Thanks for that, Mathijs. :clap_s:

• Aerosoft

Hmmm, not sure the average customer is posting on this forum. I would expect many people just buy boxed products in the shop and never visit the company website. And these people may be the same ones that have a bit lower end systems.

Indeed indeed we are after those people's hardware in other ways.

My rig is about 5/6 years old!

I have :

AMD athlon 64 x2 Dual core 5600+ 2.9Ghz

4 Gig ram, (3.25 availible, 32 bit OS)

320 Gig HDD western digital.( with everything on the system, on this HD )

Nvidea 9600 GT Gcard

Win7 32 bit

Dual display :1x24'' Dell, 1x17'' Dell

It just ''does'' what i ask it so havnt seen the need to upgrade yet, gives me the lowest fps of 22 in fsx with advanced addons/scenery..

Maddz, that sounds great, AMD X2 4800+ here, FX8600GT, 3GB RAM, your Rig is a Ferrari compared to this one. Can´t use bigger airports and such, but as I like warbirds and low and slow flying, it´s OK for me. Put everything in the Poll, too...

For those of us who build our own and experience the elated ups and frustrating downs of hardware nature, I would like to sincerely thank Aerosoft for never, ever making re-download or re-installation a problem. This is not always the case with some other vendors. You actively support your customers.

I also want to praise Nvidia Inspector software as it really enables the best of the appropriate video card hardware if configured properly for FSX.

No complaints today...ah, but the day is young. :P

• Upvote 2

I know it wouldn't fit in here but it would be also nice to know if you use a joystick for fsx, home cockpit, keyboard...

I don't know how complicated it is to create such a poll... if it's easy... :DD

My system was built in October 2010

Intel Core i7-875K Lynnfield 2.93GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Unlocked Processor BX80605I7875K. OCed to 4GHz

GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL ECO 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

2 - Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

EVGA 01G-P3-1371-AR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) FPB EE 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Video Card

COOLER MASTER Storm Sniper ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus 120mm CPU Cooler

CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 (CMPSU-750HX) 750W PS

Hey everyone,

I bought my following rig back in 2009:

Intel Core 2Duo E7500 (2*2,9 GHz)

4GB Ram

ATI 4800HD

W7 32bit

I'd love to buy a new one, but i really don't have the money.

But the last month, i felt like Aerosoft worked more in terms of performancetuning, because the newest Addons like Zurich are working just fine on my computer, older ones not (like EDDF).

I really hope, Aerosoft continues in making framerate friendly Addons :D

Regards (and sry for my engl.)

Alex

Well my system is from 2009

I7 920 2,67 gHz

250GB hard disk

Geforce GTX 560TI

6gb RAM

W7 64Bit

i cant remember motherboard right now, or what you call my CPU cooler looks like a small Radiator on a car whit a fan in front.

As above low on money so no new system.

But on the other hand, my system runs quit ok, it dosent have that high frames mose f the time around (10 - 20) in the airports, but runs OK whit out traffic othere then online and a weather program. and best when DX10 is enabled as things gets more smooth even whit low FPS.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want to thanks Aerosoft for having Developed/published some of the more special airports where you have to practis + grate details: LPMA and LOWI and more...

Realy hope the new X-plane sim would be a new start for fs projects.. as i have X-plane 9 and just as EX. EKRN is just a runway whit a grass fiels as appron. thats why i converted the FSX version to X-plane and looks ok but stil dosent works 100%.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best regards L.N.

Edit 14/10-2011 (graficcart changsed)

Probably mine is not the final choice, it depends on money. I need at least a system that will run FSX at a decent frame rate, and does not slow down everytime traffic or weather gets complex.

I Find that I am unable to upgrade my system becouse with 3 kids money is tight. I have fs2004 & FSX but mostly use fs2004 bescouse of my system as it is showing its age!!!!!

Q6600

9800 GT Grafices

win xp

4gb Ram

Hello;

I'm running Fsx Acceleration on Windows 7,64 bit system,with 12gb of ram,it does a good job running Fsx,its a whole lot better than my 32 bit system,which was always running out of memory,or crashing.I would never go back to 32 bit.Also with Windows 7,there are a lot less problems.Oh yea,I have Fsx installed on the D-drive.

Mark

Intel Core i7 CPU 930@2,80ghz 2,80ghz

ATI 5990

Windows 7

12 GB Ram

Hello I was extremely lucky to be able to own a new system this year my system is currently below I'm in the process of upgrading the video card power supply. I would like to see more involvement with aerosoft and companys like Nvidia and Intel maybe you guys can speak to them for contests promotions etc etc.

Old System

Intel Celeron Processor E3300 @ 3.30 GHZ

ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA

Kingston HyperX 2GB RAM

Western Digtel sata 320hd

Palit 9600GT 512

Antec Truepower Trio 550W

windows 7 64bit FSX Acceleration/ FS9 9.1

New System

Intel Core i5 Processor I5-2500K 3.3GHz @4.7 Corsair A50 Cooler Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 B3 Kingston HyperX Blu 4GB DDR3 1600

Seagate 500 sata HD Antec truepower trio 550 Palit 9600GT 512 Green Ed

Acer 23 LED WIN 7 64BIT FSX X Acceleration FS 9.1 nvidia drivers 197.45